Keep away from haulage lorry!!

I was driving behind a lorry today for about 30 sec and just when i was thinking to move on the other lane some rubbish stuff decided to fly away straight in to my bumper.I suspect it was a glass bottle so now my box got a very deep scratch on the bumper.I've got the reg nr of the lorry and also the company name and contact nr.Next move was to stop in to the service station and contact the company regarding what just happen.I will try to make this clear as possible

1. contact haulage company and they advise me to call my insurance

2. called my insurance and they said because i have a big excess of 3k it's not the best way to have it done on my insurance and they give me the contact number of the insurer for the haulage company

3. phone the haulage company insurer and explain to them what happen.they said to contact my insurance and go with them but i have told them i don't wanna do this because of my high excess.So they said that if i need the car fixed straight away i will have to go with my insurer otherwise just wait for them to call me back after they get in contact with the haulage company.

Now my question is...because i have contact my insurer and told them what happen do i have a claim now in the sistem wich will affect me even if the third party insurance will fix my car?What's the best way to deal with this situation?A friend of my just recommended a solicitors company and he said i should go with them.

In my experience it will be marked as a "claim" even though there was no claim. Happened to Mrs B. Have you a witness? I don't know whether this would work but why not repair at own cost and file a claim in the small claims court against the haulier. It would then be up to them whether they recover their loss from their insurance company?

Wife thought she was doing the right thing and advised her insurance company that her car had been hit whilst parked in a car park (whilst all she could do was watch as she returned to the car) but she had the other drivers details (a sweet old lady) and was intending to claim off her as she had admitted liability (no brainer really) so was not claiming off own insurance. Wife's insurances company thanked her for the call. In the end the other driver (or rather her husband) when approached for insurance details said "we're pensioners, we not paying or telling you our insurance company so sue us"! We did not and the wife's car carried a battle scar. Nevertheless her premium was raised as she had made "claim" i.e. the call to her insurance company had been entered (I assume as a no blame accident) in a centralised register which all insurance companies accesses. It took some time but we eventually got the register changed or ignored (I can't remember which) but it caused an issue.

A person who causes damage with a car is legaly obliged to provide insurrance details, name and contact address, failure to do so should have resulted in the police being called - the pensioners would then have to reveal their insurance details.

You would then contact their insurrers and they in turn would contact them - they would also be liable to being refused further insurance by that company as they failed to declare an accident, no one can get away with comments as you described Boxob.

Not so, insurance is only needed if collision involves an injury. In this case, You must stop

give your own and the vehicle owners name and address, and the registration number of the vehicle, to anyone having reasonable grounds for requiring them

if you do not give your name and address at the time of the collision, report it to the police as soon as reasonably practicable, and in any case within 24 hours.

Law RTA 1988 sect 170

Not so, insurance is only needed if collision involves an injury.

Not true to you as far as I can see - damage is enough.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/170

an accident occurs by which—

(a)personal injury is caused to a person other than the driver of that [F1mechanically propelled vehicle], or

( B)damage is caused —(i)to a vehicle other than that [F1mechanically propelled vehicle]

EDIT - that should be a 'b' in brackets not some stupid emoticon :-(

You've missed the point. Insurance details don't need to be exchanged at the time unless injury is present. It's all in the wording. It doesn't mean you can't claim.

The q wasn't to do with the definition of a collision.

Archived