young driver insurance for 6 weeks needed

Hi

Advice needed please. My 18 year old son has had his driver's licence since October 2012. I thought it would be very useful to get him as much driving experience under my supervision as possible in the next 6 weeks or so before he goes off to uni in September. He wont be using the car at uni.

What is the most cost effective way of getting him insured on our 12 year old Renault Clio for the next 6 weeks or so, please?

Many thanks

Good question.

You could add him as a named drive to your existing policy.

As well as paying an undoubted increase in premium whilst on cover, your Insurer would probably sting you for a 'admin charge' when you put him on, and another when you took him off the policy.

Not sure how else you could do it - standalone temporary insurance although I wouls guess that would be more expensive?

I looked at something similar recently albeit for a more experienced driver and for a shorter time period. Despite admin charges it was cheaper to go the named driver route than temporary insurance. IIRC the temporary insurance wanted something like 30 quid a day!

They might, if they are friendly, advise you to take out cover for a longer period eg 6 mths, and then cancel it after 6 weeks and they refund you pro-rata minus an admin fee. We did it once, the admin fee was quite reasonable. They should tell you what the total cost would be after 6 weeks. You could then even calculate whether it would be cheaper to cancel it after 6 weeks or just let it run and then he's insured for more practice over the Christmas break as well.

Unfortunately 18 year old , insurance and the term 'cost effective' do not really go together. The best option is going to be adding him as a named driver to the existing insurance policy but what you will most likely find is that the new insurance premium will be based on the risk of your son and not yourself which will mean a significant hike in the annual premium.

• 2 weeks later...

it worked for my daughter as the same company (unusually) were still cheapest at renewal.

the point i was making was just to let the policy run, rather than cancel. I did something similar when I was a new driver. I had a mini, but then sold it. but I left the policy running for 9 months so that I built up extra no claims.

Archived