Young driver - incredibly low online quotes

DRH986

My son is 21 and looking at buying his first Porsche. He has 4 years NCB and clean driving record. The online comparison sites have given him quotes on a range of cars from 986 Boxster S, 996 C2/C4 and 996 Turbo (the Turbo is a bit aspirational at this stage on his budget!), all of which are coming in around £500 to £650, though with a fairly hefty excess around £700. Frankly I'm staggered by these prices. He was only quoted around £800 on a late model 997 Turbo. Several companies apparently quoting fairly similar prices. Are there any insurance experts out there who can tell me what's going on? And no, he's not claiming to be me!

Are you looking at a Multicar policy?

Those finds are surprising. I'm 24 and pay close on £800, though I have an excess of £150.

Still, good for him and all that.

No, these are stand alone quotes, with Admiral apparently coming out as one of the lowest prices.

I do have an Admiral Multicar policy which has given us some very good prices for the last 3 years, including my youngest son at 17 recently in a 1.6 Seat for under £1200. Admiral charged £25 to put my 21 year old on my Cayman S policy for a week, which I thought was pretty good too, though I haven't had them quote him in his own right yet in a Porsche.

Fortunately we haven't had to claim on an Admiral policy yet, so haven't really put their value for money to the test.

Fair enough - to be honest I expected mine to drop a bit more this year than it actually has, which led me to think there were a few youngsters getting their mitts on boxsters and driving them into things. Seems I stand corrected. Wouldn't mind knowing why it's quite so low for your son though - maybe I can get some tips!

Probably to do with statistics - not many youngsters writing off Porsche's.

Exactly that but also bare in mind that some price comparison sites can real you in with low prices and will increase when they look at the full risk details. If using comparison sites, check and double check what you are buying.

Archived