Saga good result

Kevin G

My 987s was insured fully comp with PNCD with Saga for £243. My car was sold last weekend and the replacement 981 is not due until 1 March. Told Saga who said the policy had to be cancelled as it could not be suspended awaiting new car. I would receive refund on pro rata basis but subject to £40 admin fee as I was cancelling the policy! I pointed out I didn't want to cancel and wanted to remain with Saga for the new car. Saga came back and confirmed the policy had to be cancelled but they would waive the £40 fee and quoted £247 renewal for the 981. So very happy with Saga.

Kevin G

So am I. Saga also insure our 2 mercs for very competitive rates. Age does have some compensations, and I love using my bus pass!

well - been with Saga for 5 years - put 986 on as additional car to daily car (Vauxhall insignia SRi) a few months ago

New renewal for Vauxhall is now £450! (it was £200 last year)

Queried it - their response? - nothing they can do - sorry if we lose your business!

btw - no claims for about 15 years - no points etc. wife named as 2nd driver (also no points / claims)

WTF is going on?

About to have another fight with someone there on Monday - anyone got any ideas?

Cheers

Bob

well - been with Saga for 5 years - put 986 on as additional car to daily car (Vauxhall insignia SRi) a few months ago

New renewal for Vauxhall is now £450! (it was £200 last year)

Queried it - their response? - nothing they can do - sorry if we lose your business!

btw - no claims for about 15 years - no points etc. wife named as 2nd driver (also no points / claims)

WTF is going on?

About to have another fight with someone there on Monday - anyone got any ideas?

Cheers

Bob

Similar response too. Vote with your feet. They still send me renewal invitations but they had their opportunity. They'd have to be significantly cheaper to win back my custom.

Try one of our site sponsors? A-Plan sort me out now.

Trawets,seems premium for the Boxster is around £250, as previous car was £200 for year, so £450 for the 2. Seems good to me.

• 2 weeks later...

My 987s was insured fully comp with PNCD with Saga for £243. My car was sold last weekend and the replacement 981 is not due until 1 March. Told Saga who said the policy had to be cancelled as it could not be suspended awaiting new car. I would receive refund on pro rata basis but subject to £40 admin fee as I was cancelling the policy! I pointed out I didn't want to cancel and wanted to remain with Saga for the new car. Saga came back and confirmed the policy had to be cancelled but they would waive the £40 fee and quoted £247 renewal for the 981. So very happy with Saga.

Kevin G

I heard a while back about a chap who didn't cancel his policy after selling his car in order to retain his NCB (or similar). The new owner, who wasn't insured, caused a serious injury to someone and because the original owner's policy was still valid for that car it ended up costing him dearly - can't remember the details but it caused him some serious grief and expense. Not sure then that hanging on to a policy is a good idea.

I heard a while back about a chap who didn't cancel his policy after selling his car in order to retain his NCB (or similar). The new owner, who wasn't insured, caused a serious injury to someone and because the original owner's policy was still valid for that car it ended up costing him dearly - can't remember the details but it caused him some serious grief and expense. Not sure then that hanging on to a policy is a good idea.

Wazzer, that's precisely why Saga insisted the policy must be cancelled.

Wow. I had an argument with Privilege (which I won) to keep my policy after sale so I could use the third party insurance to drive another car. That was 12 years ago now. I won it as the Times had previously published a law report of a case where it was decided the ins. co. couldn't unilaterally cancel unless there was a specific clause allowing them to.

I'd love to see the legal argument involved in an uninsured new owner claiming on the previous owner's insurance. Insurance law really is a field in itself.

I believe that it is not kegal to insure the same item twice... so, I can only assume that, in the case above, the new owner did not insure the car. So, the person who was injured (or their no win no fee lawyers) chased the only existing insurance. And that insurance would have covered the car 3rd party for any driver...

So that eould appear to be the risk

Archived