Raising 981 centre armrest for comfort driving...

DJMC

When comfort cruising on the motorway etc. I like to have my elbows at the same height so my hands can rest at 10 to 2 or quarter to 3 on the steering wheel.

The centre armrest on the 981 is around 80cm lower in its closed position so I needed a "prop" to raise it. I found a stainless steel marine hinge of the correct dimension, by chance, on eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261821136538?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=560680326663&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Along with some "Sticky Fixers" I just needed some magnets (2) to stop the armrest from rising on its spring when my elbow is removed: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271930456411?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The hinge is stuck underneath the armrest with the three Sticky Fixers (so that the armrest still closes fully). I tried to remove the hinge again just to trim a little off the (just visible) Sticky Fixers, but it's stuck so well I decided to leave it be...

412045641.jpg

It's held in the "up" position, as shown above, by two of the disc magnets either side of the free end of the hinge which, by chance, have the same radius and centre hole diameter as the hinge end. Theres a 5mm diameter bolt (no nut needed) through all three items to hold them in position. As the armrest is moved downwards, and the hinge has been released from its parked position by light finger pressure, it moves forwards...

412045642.jpg

As the front magnet reaches the armrest base it grabs the front of a steel washer stuck (with a Sticky Fixer) to the front right surface of the base interior (not shown). The magnet slides down the face of this until it simply rests on the rubber mat. I tried it without the washer first, but when I took my arm off the armrest the hinge would tend to "jingle" as it was able to move slightly up and down. Again, pure chance that the magnet chooses to slide down to the mat rather than rest on the washer's top edge...

412045639.jpg

The washer gives a little "grip" to hold the armrest from moving upwards under its light springing, although the weight of the hinge and magnets keep it fairly neutral...

412045640.jpg

A fairy neat, non-permanent, solution.

412045638.jpg

To stow the "prop" in the up position, so that the armrest can be fully closed, I just open it swiftly and the hinge swings back so that the rear magnet grabs the static part of the hinge and sticks to it.

Took me hours to think up and source. Would take you about 10 minutes max to repeat. You just need one 5mm diameter bolt of a suitable length from your toolbox, plus the hinge and magnets linked to above.

• 4 months later...

Archived