Serves me right, I suppose. ?

Daniel Joseph

Earlier today, I posted the following comment on another topic:

"Sometimes the complex electronics can be too clever for their own good!"

Well, my Boxster decided to teach me a lesson for my impertinence this afternoon.  I had a 20 mile round trip to make and the sun was shining, so I decided to put the top down and enjoy the spin.  Half way home and the right-hand display gave me a critical "Red" warning: "Oil level below minimum, stop engine immediately and do not drive on." (or something like that).  I did as instructed, pulled in on a petrol station forecourt and called Porsche Assistance.  I explained what had happened and added that there was no sign of a leak, no earlier "Yellow" warning, and the last time I checked the oil level using the electronic "dip stick" (a week ago) it was fine.  They said that they would arrange for the car to be recovered and drop me home.  After a few minutes, I switched on the ignition again and, guess what?  The warning had disappeared and, when I checked the oil level, it was fine.  I called Porsche Assistance back with this new information.  They spoke to their techie, who advised that, in his view, the car still shouldn't be started, but it was "up to me".  In other words, if the engine seized...? 

Anyway, I spent the next three hours waiting with the car for it to be recovered.  During this time, a toothless yokel in an ancient and very battered Rover came within a couple of inches of reversing into the side of my car, only stopping when I yelled "STOP!" at the top of my voice.  My nerves had just about settled when I heard a dull thud.  I turned around to see the largest seagull sh1t in the World  all over my front bonnet, wings and windscreen... So, into the shop for a packet of tissues and a bottle of mineral water, followed by an impromptu clean-up.

Have you ever spent time on a petrol station forecourt?  You'd be amazed by just how many people seem to have absolutely no idea as to which side their filler cap is on.  Don't they know what that little arrow in the fuel guage means?  Also, the impatience of some people is extraordinary: rather than just pick a pump and queue up, they drive back and forth trying to anticipate which pump will clear first, even if it's on the wrong side for their filler cap.

The recovery vehicle was, thankfully, a curtain-sided covered truck, which the company use for "prestige" vehicles, which explained the long wait.  I was more than happy with this, given that the car will have an eighty mile journey to the Cambridge OPC tomorrow after secure storage on the back of the truck tonight.  Nigel, the recovery driver, was very thorough.  He inspected the car (which is unmarked) thoroughly and photographed every panel and wheel.  Europcar should drop off a replacement car for me tomorrow as well.  So, thumbs up for Porsche Assistance so far.

Hopefully the fix will be straightforward.  Incidentally, has anyone else experienced this problem with their 981?  I think that, rather have the car trailered back to me when fixed, I'll drive the hire car to Cambridge next week and pay the OPC a visit.  I haven't been there before, so it's a chance to check it out.

I have had the very problem that you describe. About 3 weeks ago we went on a 50 mile journey into the wild west known as Norfolk. About 10 miles after we left I got the same warning as you. I was in a position to immediately pull over and stop the engine. I looked under the car and there was no sign of a leak and I was fairly certain that the car was lying to me. Anyway in order to hedge my bets I put half a litre of Mobile 1 from the bottle supplied with the car and continued my journey. About 5 miles further on I get an amber warning that I now have too much oil but it was ok to carry on.

After this each time I drive the car I get the too much oil amber caution after about 10 miles. So I drained out half a litre and all is now fine. So an instrumentation problem - oh for a physical dip stick. 

3 minutes ago, topradio said:

I have had the very problem that you describe. About 3 weeks ago we went on a 50 mile journey into the wild west known as Norfolk. About 10 miles after we left I got the same warning as you. I was in a position to immediately pull over and stop the engine. I looked under the car and there was no sign of a leak and I was fairly certain that the car was lying to me. Anyway in order to hedge my bets I put half a litre of Mobile 1 from the bottle supplied with the car and continued my journey. About 5 miles further on I get an amber warning that I now have too much oil but it was ok to carry on.

After this each time I drive the car I get the too much oil amber caution after about 10 miles. So I drained out half a litre and all is now fine. So an instrumentation problem - oh for a physical dip stick. 

Thanks, Topradio, that's good to hear and confirms my suspicions.  I'll let you know what the diagnosis from Cambridge OPC is.  I guess they are your nearest centre.  Totally agree about the dip stick!!!

Best regards,

Dan

Sorry guys, just realised that I posted this in the wrong place, 987, when it should be in 981.  Can the Forum big chiefs move it (and the replies)?  

By the way, I think BoXa.net is awesome!  In just 15 minutes I have the reassurance of knowing another 981 owner has had the same problem and that problem is "just" electronic, not mechanical.  Oh, and Nath, thanks for your good wishes.  Serious or otherwise, it should be Porsche's problem, not mine!

17 minutes ago, Nath said:

Mods, if you do move it can you also delete this post and my smart ar*e 987 comment?  You can leave my good wishes as they are genuine!

No offence taken, Nath ? you actually made me laugh, particularly as my "...too clever for their own good" comment related to my former ride, a 987, where another electronic glitch left me stranded.  See the topic "Non Starter" for details!

14 minutes ago, EXY said:

That recovery procedure sounds like it has been underwritten by the EU :laugh:

I do hope you get off lightly though ;)

Thanks, EXY.  It shouldn't cost me anything (apart from the fuel and time for a return trip to Cambridge, which will be my choice).  The car is still covered by a full manufacturer's warranty. ?

Well, I got my Boxster back today.  Porsche Cambridge replaced the oil level sensor.  Of course, the fault had cleared within five minutes of me stopping, but they took repeated oil level readings until they got an error.  Hopefully, the replaced sensor will do the trick.  The car was washed and valeted for me, but promptly got covered in dead flies and dust on the 80 mile journey home, so got washed again by me!  I actually drove it with the roof up for the first time today, not because it was raining, but because I don't particularly enjoy motorway  (M11) or dual carriageway (A14) driving with the roof down; too noisy and frenetic.  I was impressed with how little wind noise there was, although tyre noise was more noticeable. 

Hi Dan, good to hear that it looks like they have got to the bottom of the problem. Let us know if it returns.

I once took a car for service and, as is always the case, I had just cleaned and polished it so it didn't need cleaning. However as part of the service was to clean the car they did it anyway. It came back with water and sponge marks all over it and was actually not as clean as it started off :o

Archived