Clear wind deflector

tcornet

Looking for some advice, I saw the attached http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2013-2014-2015-981-PORSCHE-BOXSTER-WIND-SCREEN-WIND-BLOCKER-WIND-DEFLECTOR-/191906584748?hash=item2cae8618ac:g:EkoAAOxyAc1SQDgI

it looks the same as the one from Pedro's Garage http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_2/TechNOwind.html but cheaper. 

I would appreciate your views, clearly without the decal. I'm off to the states for work shortly, so thought I'd pick myself one up as I've had enough of the mesh. 

Thanks 

Tony 

Pick one up while you are over there and bring it back in your luggage.

I bought 3 from Pedro's and the carriage and duty came to almost the cost of one of them. In fact I would buy a couple and sell the other to subsidise yours.

The e-bay one is the same screen I purchased last year from the same supplier. Very happy with the quality and fit.

On 3 July 2016 at 1:27 PM, tcornet said:

Looking for some advice, I saw the attached http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2013-2014-2015-981-PORSCHE-BOXSTER-WIND-SCREEN-WIND-BLOCKER-WIND-DEFLECTOR-/191906584748?hash=item2cae8618ac:g:EkoAAOxyAc1SQDgI

it looks the same as the one from Pedro's Garage http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_2/TechNOwind.html but cheaper. 

I would appreciate your views, clearly without the decal. I'm off to the states for work shortly, so thought I'd pick myself one up as I've had enough of the mesh. 

Thanks 

Tony 

If you were to bring back two I may be interested in buying one :) it looks nice!

25 minutes ago, np90 said:

If you were to bring back two I may be interested in buying one

Tony - if you were prepared to bring several back (I'd quite understand if you don't want to!) I may also be interested.  You'd need to work out whether you were likely to get hit for import duties, and agree a price beforehand accordingly, and I'd be prepared (as Topradio suggested above) to subsidise yours somewhat to compensate for your troubles.  Let me know if you're interested and we can discuss.  BTW have you thought about how you're going to get it shipped to (presumably) as US address when that address is not linked to your credit card/Paypal address?

From the seller's location, I guess this is the same as the item advertised directly on this website: http://www.jaysenoffwindscreens.com/order.htm

@Ringer250, so you reckon it's the same gauge (thickness) as the OEM mesh deflector, where it fits into the roll hoops - so that it doesn't rattle at all? (that was my concern when I thought of making my own - as discussed in another thread on here http://www.BoXa.net/forum/index.php?/topic/68523-glass-wind-deflector/ )

@np90 - but your 'Ride' says "Don't have one" ! Are you going to then get the Boxster to fit around the wind deflector? ;)

No worries, Tony, I quite understand that.  In some ways, even if it costs more, it would be 'tidier' to order my own anyway (eg in case there are any subsequent problems with it) and I might do that at some point (or do like you're considering and get one some time if I'm in the US).

Please let us know how you get on with it though if you do get one

Jon61, I'll be having family coming from states early next year for my wedding - I'll probably wait until then but feel free to let me know if you haven't got your hands on a solution by then. 

P.s when I signed up I hadn't bought one, but am now a proud 981 owner (looking to upgrade his exhaust) :) i will update my profile shortly. 

@Ringer250 - thanks, that's useful to know. Thanks also @np90, I've still not definitely decided whether to change my mesh one, but I'll probably either bite the bullet and order one myself from EBay or wait for next year when I should also be able to get one while in the US.

I've just come back from a 2-week trip in the 981, its first extended drive, and the mesh windstop definitely doesn't seem to cut out as much buffeting (or therefore noise) as the clear one on my 986. Presumably Stuart (and Steve) you reckon the perspex one is better for this?

I actually did a back to back test with both deflectors on my 981 and I reckon that the Perspex one causes slightly more buffeting.

Its definitely a lot worse than the 986 where you feel cocooned in the cockpit with only slight wind disruption even at speeds above the national limit.   

1 hour ago, topradio said:

I actually did a back to back test with both deflectors on my 981 and I reckon that the Perspex one causes slightly more buffeting.

Its definitely a lot worse than the 986 where you feel cocooned in the cockpit with only slight wind disruption even at speeds above the national limit.   

Oh, that's interesting, if a tad disappointing. That was the reason I was thinking of getting a clear one - the visibility/reflectons point hasn't bothered me so far, including after dark.

I certainly agree the 986 was remarkably quiet in the cabin at very high speed. It's a pity they haven't managed to retain that in the 981. Aerodynamics is a complicated business, but you would have thought Porsche would spend enough time with a wind tunnel to perfect things. Anyway, at least it would explain why they don't provide a perspex one as standard.

The 986 is amazing for its lack of draughtiness, even at sub zero temperatures I can turn the heating up full and put the heated seats on and the cabin remains quite cosy with the roof down even up to 70MPH.

The 981 is a different story, the cc seems to have the grunt to push out just as much heat as the 986 but it's swept away out of the cabin immediately making it not quite as warm at higher speeds with the roof off at low OAT.

5 hours ago, Jon61 said:

That was the reason I was thinking of getting a clear one - the visibility/reflectons point hasn't bothered me so far, including after dark.

that's the main reason I wanted the clear one...weird sky reflections in the mesh (not sure how that happens) sometimes and lack of a clear view...

5 hours ago, topradio said:

The 981 is a different story, the cc seems to have the grunt to push out just as much heat as the 986 but it's swept away out of the cabin immediately making it not quite as warm at higher speeds with the roof off at low OAT.

for anyone who doesn't know you can switch off the top part of the vent in the OBC system on a 981 ie the part of the vents pointing at the passengers which also have a top part that points upwards too....also you can change the aggressiveness of the climate too

@Jon61. Top radios' comment on buffeting with the Perspex is correct, buffeting is slightly increased. Not experimented with lowering the seats, maybe this would help.

4 hours ago, Ringer250 said:

@Jon61. Top radios' comment on buffeting with the Perspex is correct, buffeting is slightly increased. Not experimented with lowering the seats, maybe this would help.

On the second day of our holiday, Mrs 61 fiddled around with the passenger seat and ended up with it at its lowest setting, although that was more to do with comfort rather than wind intrusion. But perhaps I will experiment with putting the driver's seat lower too (After the 986, I'm still not used to having any height adjustment available, so I don't think I've altered mine yet from its initial setting) as it might help with the buffeting, as well as making the car look less lopsided!

• 3 weeks later...

Just back from work over the pond and picked up the deflector. It's fantastic, visibility and fit are spot on. Why Porsche don't do this as standard is beyond me. 

Thanks Steve for the endorsement. I will take pictures when I get time and you can also see my silver hoop covers which I had fitted. 

12 hours ago, tcornet said:

Just back from work over the pond and picked up the deflector. It's fantastic, visibility and fit are spot on. Why Porsche don't do this as standard is beyond me. 

Thanks Steve for the endorsement. I will take pictures when I get time and you can also see my silver hoop covers which I had fitted. 

Glad you got it sorted. :thumbsup_still: Saw you silver hoops at Beulieu - very nice.

Archived