Roof re-stitched

Gutley

For a while now the fabric at the very back of the roof has been split at the seams, leaving a gap and working its way along the rest:

While not causing any leaks, it was starting to make that bit of the roof bubble up as well as the reduced tension on the rear glass causing that to be slightly wobbly, so something needed doing. Didn't fancy a new roof as want to keep the car as original as possible, so that precluded a 3rd party roof and after enquiring of Porsche of the cost of an OEM brown roof, the overall cost including fitting of £3,000* was a no-no.

Luckily OPC Tonbridge suggested a company in Oxted, European Trimming Solutions, who might be able to help. After visiting Brendan a couple of months back to get a feel for what sort of repairs they could do I took it along on Thursday to get that portion re-stitched with some additional fabric inserted underneath the existing fabric to provide extra strength.

Total cost about £340. Quite happy with the result so far. It does now have a stitch line extending around the back of the hood, but everything is nice and tight again. (Its not easy to tell from this photo though):

Happily recommend Brendan and his team to anyone else with a similar issue.

* That £3,000 from Porsche was about £1000 for the new roof fabric in Brown + 20 hours labor as its just the fabric, not the mechanism so they have to entirely refit the fabric to the frame. (Seems like a lot of labor to me, but even if it had been 10 hours that still £2000 in total). If the time ever comes that the roof is too knackered to repair I might see if anyone non-OPC can fit the roof if I source the OEM fabric myself.

If you mean uncut then I never asked. What they supply is fully formed with the rear window but none of the mechanism or internal liner

Archived