Sat Nag or Not?

Boxbrownie

We have been looking closely now for a 987 Gen2 (2009>) for a few weeks now and a little confusion is here.....looking at the ADs and the pictures there in, some radios have a CD slot above the unit and some do not (mostly seen with a sim card slot), am I correct in assuming the CD slot radios do NOT have Satnav and the Sim card slot radios DO?

Some ADs list the Satnav and some do not......

I think that it isn't as simple as that. The CD slot is for playing music and the sim slot is to put your phone sim card in to make calls as the car effectively has an inbuilt phone.

I think they all have the display but not all will have the nav module. You will need to go by the description or ring up and ask. Although its nice to have an integrated GPS it actually makes more sense to have something like a TomTom as it much cheaper to buy and to keep updated. 

My (981) has both the CD and sim slots and also has sat nav.

987.2? Did they introduce the universal audio interface / USB around then? I can imagine not needing a CD slot if that capability was present.

(Note  - I'm thinking logically, which is usually a mistake with Porsche ICE...)

Indeed I tried logic and got completely confused by the seemingly myriad of options on display!

I agree with the TomTom assertation, but being it a drop top and likely to be left occasionally "sans chapeau" I didn't want the faff of hiding it all away (most likely in a secure trunk/frunk whatever it is called), also it is not just the route guidance but call me shallow but I do like to have a "map" open in front of me when I drive, I have got used to it so for these reasons alone I would like a built in Satnag if for nothing else.

And while I am here do you think it reasonable for me to ask for a VIN number before going a long way to view a vehicle, I'd like to check over the specs (assuming the vin holds such niceties) before proceeding?

It can be even more complicated than that with PCM3.0 (fitted to the 987.2).  It could actually be specced without navigation and without phone.  They all have the SIM slot, so it is difficult to tell by pictures alone.

I think it is perfectly reasonable to ask for the VIN before viewing, but the VIN itself doesn't give you much information specific to the vehicle, only where it was built, model year, etc.  There aren't any on-line decoders (there used to be, but Porsche got ar$ey about it), and the only real way to get the options from the VIN is from someone with access to Porsche Parts 24, the (subscription) online parts catalogue.

The trick used to be to take a pic of the options codes in the handbook, and decode them - not as easy as VIN but less data protection to worry about.  But not so sure how reliable the free codes (not VIN) decoder sites are, I think an options code can depend on the age of the car, Porsche seemed to keep changing them.

OK thanks, though bit of a bummer as I got the VIN today and hopefully should be viewing this weekend, was hoping to check out the VIN code, but maybe not that simple then!

On 20 July 2016 at 2:37 PM, Menoporsche said:

The trick used to be to take a pic of the options codes in the handbook, and decode them - not as easy as VIN but less data protection to worry about.  But not so sure how reliable the free codes (not VIN) decoder sites are, I think an options code can depend on the age of the car, Porsche seemed to keep changing them.

Currently there are codes listed here

Archived