Scanner

alank

Hi am thinking of getting a scanner for reading fault codes and resetting codes as necessary. Without spending a fortune on a all singing/dancing Durametrics one, can any one recommend a good reasonably priced one that actually works on a boxster. Thanks alan

20 minutes ago, alank said:

Hi am thinking of getting a scanner for reading fault codes and resetting codes as necessary. Without spending a fortune on a all singing/dancing Durametrics one, can any one recommend a good reasonably priced one that actually works on a boxster. Thanks alan

This comes up weekly pretty much.

I bought a chinese Durametric clone.  Cost about £11 delivered and it is reasonably limited compared to the all singing/dancing Durametric, but it will read all of the factory codes on all of the modules (alarm module, airbags, abs etc.)

I did have an iCarSoft POR2.  It was pants, and cost £120.  Sent it back as it didn't do anything it said it would, and it was just an expensive glorified generic code reader - no different to what you could get for £5 off ebay.

26 minutes ago, Richard Hamilton said:

I would be very surprised if the £11 one worked well on a 987.

He's got a 3.2 and this is the 986 forum, so I'd be surprised if it was a 987.

32 minutes ago, Sedgy said:

Have you got a link to the £11 durametric clone? Id be interested in one @ that price for simple code reading

Can't find it on the site I got it from, but it's basically this one (there's loads of vendors).

Durametric V3 is on the CD comes with it, and you need to download the Drivers from the Durametric site (free.  They're on the CD, but they don't work).

@mxm1275 did try out a newer version of the software, not sure how he got on in the end.

I bought this one that only does engine fault codes but worked a treat diagnosing my recent O2 sensor fault

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-ALL-Car-fault-reader-code-scanner-diagnostic-tool-OBD-2-CAN-RESET-TOOL-/361562716629?hash=item542ed139d5:g:kYsAAOSw41xXPGl7

14 hours ago, Sedgy said:

Have you got a link to the £11 durametric clone? Id be interested in one @ that price for simple code reading

14 hours ago, Richard Hamilton said:

I would be very surprised if the £11 one worked well on a 987.

14 hours ago, cj225 said:

He's got a 3.2 and this is the 986 forum, so I'd be surprised if it was a 987.

Sedgy's Avatar panel says he has a 2.7 987....

9 hours ago, mxm1275 said:

My copy lead failed (it got hot too)...

Was that because you tried to update it? I can't remember.

I used mine last night without issue, but I'm sticking bravely Durametric 3!

I don't know really. I was using D3, but it just seemed to work one minute, then fail.  Perhaps I've been unlucky.

Archived