Emergency fuel cap release - design fail?

Pandy

Yesterday was a glorious bank holiday Monday and what could be better than going for a spin in the countryside to enjoy this fine sunny weather - but first I needed to get some petrol.  A quick trip to the garage just down the road and I pull up to the pump - super unleaded of course - but "Oh No!" the fuel flap won't open.  This wasn't the first time this has happened and had been mentioned when I had the car go through its 111 point check before taking out the extended warranty - then it was reported back as all working fine.  When I said to the OPC that I had pulled on the emergency release tab in the drivers door arch but nothing happened, and that I felt if I had pulled it any harder something would break, they just said well you do need to pull it quite hard, maybe just pull harder next time :-).  So this time I did - and it broke :-(.  Drives back home, trip cancelled as only 20 miles left in the tank.

A quick call to the OPC this morning - "yes" they said,  "that should be covered under the extended warranty, but if the solenoid has stuck then the emergency release wouldn't work, it will just break!".    I have to ask - What is the point of an emergency release pull for the fuel flap if in the event the flap is stuck locked shut it then won't work??  Seems like the normally brilliant Porsche design guys probably had a meeting where they decided they pass over the design of such a minor and normally hidden part to an intern. :-(

It got worse - as I already have emergency recovery included with my insurance policy I declined the rather expensive Porsche recovery service offered with their extended warranty.  "Sorry sir but your recovery policy only covers breakdowns at least 1/4 mile from your home".  With my insurance company not willing to compromise on this stance I then had to drive the car 1/2 mile down the road and call them again before they'd book a recovery (apparently they were quite happy to pick up and relay the car before it actually ran out of petrol - just not from my house).  It was just as well I wasn't miles from home as the recovery truck took nearly 3 hours to arrive.

Car now at OPC and hoping it all get's sorted tomorrow - feeling pleased I had at least took out the Extended Warranty cover to cover the cost of fixing it - or I hope it will - won't be very pleased if they try to claim the chord breaking is "fair wear and tear" 'cos I pulled it too hard!

IMG_1293.jpg

IMG_1298.jpg

Archived