987 Cayman/Boxster wheel fitment

Patrick Bateman

Wheels fit fine, but the tyres are a different profile (one down from the 987) giving a smaller rolling radius.  The bigger tyres will probably still work fine, but may scrape on full lock, and your speedo will read slightly slow.

Cheers, here's a pic of the style. Just to get sorted with good matching tyres all round now.

The standard front size is quite a rare one for choice (205/55/17), anyone tried a 215/50/17? Rolling radius isn't a million miles apart.

A 225/50 is about identical but apparently 215 is the widest you should go on a 6.5J rim.

unnamed.jpg

I've not tried it, but 215/50 sounds ideal. Will give you a 5mm drop in ride height.

225/50 should fit fine on a 6.5" wheel, but the extra rubber probably won't do your steering precision any favours :)

Saying that I run 225/45 on the front of mine, instead of the usual 205/50 and its nicer to steer/drive, but wheels are 7"

I have a set of 18" Cayman wheels that I use as Winter wheels on my 987.

I have read that, with different tyres, they will fit on the 981.

So it sounds like 986, 987 and 981 will all take the same sized wheels with just the tyre sizes being different.

I'm sure somebody will be able to produce the numbers to confirm or disprove this.

Yes the wheels for 987 and 981 fit each other

981 - Rim Width: 8" & 9.5" 

Offset: ET57 & ET45

987 - Rim Width: 8" & 9.5"

Offset: ET57 & ET43

The main issue in interchanging the wheels between models is fitting 981 wheels straight on a 987 as they have 40 profile tyres not 35 so will foul the front struts. Reducing the tyre size to a 35 profile will sort this.

3 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

My OBC gives me a choice of wheel diameters, presumably to recalculate some reading?

Yep - and a choice between summer and winter tyres for a reason I'm still trying to figure out.

Hope you're enjoying those 19's btw.......?

6 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

My OBC gives me a choice of wheel diameters, presumably to recalculate some reading?

If you have TPMS, isn't it so that it knows what the recommended pressures are for each wheel size (and summer/winter tyres too)?

Archived