Annual mileage

Does anyone know the leeway Insurance Cos give on annual mileage limits? 

I realise its up to individual Cos but just a general view. I assumed something around 5-10% in a year?

Has anyone else been driving the car on their own 3rd party cover? ;)

I usually have 5k mile policies for a couple of cars, and when I mentioned to one that we'd only done 3.5k in the past year, I was surprised to hear "Oh so you really do mean 5k miles then?"

Just call them and tell them you need a slight increase!

with MOT's being easily check able, mileage a between them could give them a get out clause in case of needing to use their services following an unfortunate incident.

Better to ask & be honest otherwise it'll cost more in the long run.

my current insurers min mileage per annum us 6k

4 hours ago, r1flyguy said:

Just call them and tell them you need a slight increase!

with MOT's being easily check able, mileage a between them could give them a get out clause in case of needing to use their services following an unfortunate incident.

Better to ask & be honest otherwise it'll cost more in the long run.

I agree with what you say r1flyguy and its what I would normally do but my insurance is due at the end of next week  and the car is going to be garaged until next Sunday ( the trip to Redhill!) so I was just interested to see if anyone had a view. I'll increase the mileage limit for the next year. The cars first MOT will be due in late 2018.

5 hours ago, Araf said:

I usually have 5k mile policies for a couple of cars, and when I mentioned to one that we'd only done 3.5k in the past year, I was surprised to hear "Oh so you really do mean 5k miles then?"

Nice one Araf....I hadn't thought of that!

6 hours ago, Araf said:

Would this still be the case if that it's the car mileage! Not what you claiming to do personally?

otherwise you could use that excuse and have a 1000 mile per year policy!

i may be very wrong but that would be a very dodgy claim :)

2 minutes ago, r1flyguy said:

Would this still be the case if that it's the car mileage! Not what you claiming to do personally?

otherwise you could use that excuse and have a 1000 mile per year policy!

i may be very wrong but that would be a very dodgy claim :)

Not sure it's been tested, and it was a bit of a flippant answer really.  It's the argument that I would use if I really had to, but like John will probably do, I would discuss it with my insurance company as soon as I got to the situation of being close just to make sure I was totally covered.

Looking at this another way though.  You answer questions as honestly as possible, your insurance company work out a premium based on those answers, and you accept that premium.  If you took out insurance for 10k miles, and only drove 5k miles, would your insurance company refund part of your premium?  If not then with the way consumer law currently works, if they charged you extra for going over your declared mileage they would have an unfair contract with you, wouldn't they?

Agree, but I'm sure they'd charge you if they could or wriggle out of paying up if they could find a way to aswell :)

It's a win win for insurance companies ;)

For info....spoke to Insurance Co today (Porsche Insurance) and they have  increased my annual mileage limit, for the current year, at no cost and I've increased next years cover to 8000 miles, from 6000 miles, at an increase in premium of £16! Result or what! Well impressed with this!!

7 hours ago, JohnSyn said:

For info....spoke to Insurance Co today (Porsche Insurance) and they have  increased my annual mileage limit, for the current year, at no cost and I've increased next years cover to 8000 miles, from 6000 miles, at an increase in premium of £16! Result or what! Well impressed with this!!

John, mine is with Porsche too, I have 12000 miles per annum limit with 10000 of them being business (ie travel to see customers NOT just commuting and social etc)...£430 excess and a premium that is only £359 last July's renewal...IIRC adding mileage (business for me), made little difference to the price.

On 10/2/2016 at 1:34 PM, r1flyguy said:

Interesting excuse to drive your Porsche...

'dear I am just going to buy some grapes from the 'not so local' supermarket...I have to get my mileage up or I'll void my insurance policy...'

28 minutes ago, boxsternoob56 said:

John, mine is with Porsche too, I have 12000 miles per annum limit with 10000 of them being business (ie travel to see customers NOT just commuting and social etc)...£430 excess and a premium that is only £359 last July's renewal...IIRC adding mileage (business for me), made little difference to the price.

'dear I am just going to buy some grapes from the 'not so local' supermarket...I have to get my mileage up or I'll void my insurance policy...'

Thanks Stuart...mine was just over £400 before the legal cover and insurance tax which I'm really happy with too. Its interesting, as you say, by adding things, in your case business mileage in mine added miles, makes so little difference.

3 hours ago, boxsternoob56 said:

Maybe didn't explain that one too clearly :laugh:

Archived