Annoying rattle noise - driving me mad

jason3.2s

My Boxster 981 s has developed an annoying rattle which sounds like its by my right ear while driving!

Have checked seat belt, anything loose and also the drivers door for anything left in the small compartment without any luck as finding the offending rattle.

Anybody had this issue or ideas on what it could be - only occurs when going over a rough surface or bumps etc in the road.

Any advice appreciated.

Not in a position to take a photo, but mine was irritating me on collection around my ears.

Mine was the flap that lifts when the roof goes down, I could replicate the noise by lifting the flap when roof open and gently moving side to side. It creaks, probably the best description.

If this is your noise, silicon spray down the back of the mounting bracket. Just a squirt,  my creaking has gone. The silence is only spoiled by the pse, but I can cope with that ?

I have that noise too sometimes - I had diagnosed that flap too but didn't know what to do about it.

Thanks Ian for your reply - I'll try that and see if it works - I presume you do the squirt of silicone with the roof down, just lift the flap by hand for access?

Non on mine at 2.5 years old but the roof mechanism is quite complicated and has a number of linkages that could be the culprit. My 986 has always had a slight rattle from behind my right ear but only with the roof down so I don't worry about it as it competing with lots of other noise.  

I think I may have spotted the offending noise. it may be the seat catch that allws the back half of the seat forward. The drivers side feels loose and rattles nearest the door but the passenger seat doesnt. First time i have moved the seat forward and not sure why i would need to access behind the seat but am sure someone must. 

On 04/10/2016 at 10:42 AM, Gorsh said:

I have that noise too sometimes - I had diagnosed that flap too but didn't know what to do about it.

Thanks Ian for your reply - I'll try that and see if it works - I presume you do the squirt of silicone with the roof down, just lift the flap by hand for access?

Yes with the roof down, lift the flap it has tension with the cable.  If you look at where it's hinged you'll see the plastic bracket goes vertically in line with the flap. With a straw a short squire over the back if the bracket/hinge area.

On 04/10/2016 at 3:53 PM, jason3.2s said:

I think I may have spotted the offending noise. it may be the seat catch that allws the back half of the seat forward. The drivers side feels loose and rattles nearest the door but the passenger seat doesnt. First time i have moved the seat forward and not sure why i would need to access behind the seat but am sure someone must. 

It's for access to the panel that covers the front  of the engine

1 minute ago, T24RES said:

It's for access to the panel that covers the front  of the engine

And to get at anything stored there - I keep a jacket on the coat hook and in winter hat and scarf on the floor.  If you don't have the seat right back it's surprising how much storage there is for coats etc.

Archived