use of engine cleaner

alank

Hi , Has any one had any experience using engine cleaner. Spoke to my local indy yesterday and he does a oil service using BG Engine Purge , which is an additive put in the oil prior to draining, Then uses Mobil 1 oil . He says it is very succesfull in stopping any engine noises, by it cleaning the oil ways, etc. Looking on BG website , the Engine Purge is quite aggressive, and only kept in the engine whilst doing the oil service, He said its put in engine and run at 2000rpm for 30 mins, then drained, and new oil and filter fit.       cheers  alan

Someone on here had a problem with a sticky hydraulic tappet causing a tapping noise and used one of these treatments which seemed to improve the situation. If there's no obvious problem and the car is regularly serviced, then I don't see the need to use this sort of thing. It strikes me as a profitable up selling opportunity for garages.

11 minutes ago, Fatbloke said:

The oils have plenty cleaners in them, especially fully synthetic. Regular oil changes are the key to cleanliness.

This.

Also, I'm sure I've heard first hand that a splash of diesel is better as a pre-oil change cleaner than any of that bottled snake oil.

Funniest thread gold I ever read was on an american forum, where some bloke tried to flush his engine using water (whilst it was running) and couldn't understand why it popped a rod.

3 hours ago, cj225 said:

This.

Also, I'm sure I've heard first hand that a splash of diesel is better as a pre-oil change cleaner than any of that bottled snake oil.

Funniest thread gold I ever read was on an american forum, where some bloke tried to flush his engine using water (whilst it was running) and couldn't understand why it popped a rod.

Everyone knows when you clean stuff that hot water is better than cold and that a bit of fairy liquid does a good job. User error obviously :D 

So you would put this aggressive cleaner in and it would mix with your existing oil and then drain the oil? And what about the small percentage of residual oil left in the engine that still has this stuff in it after the drain which then mixes with the new oil? Only cleanings I've ever seen were done with multiple flushes of some cheap oil to get the cleaner out before the good oil fill was done. And that was in the days before good oils were common and when machining tolerances were lots looser and oil came out black every time.

How would this react with the type of seals Porsche has used ... for example with an IMS/RMS seal?

Sounds quite aggressive?

What about putting an additive in your existing oil, a day or so before the oil change.

It may help clear a bit of cr*p but not do any damage, a lot of the additives are supposed to break down anyway but if yours is coming out 24hrs later might be an idea if you fancy a clean.

I did this before my first oil change when I first got my car, mainly as I wasn't sure what the original was in the car. It had an oil change a week before I bought it but I'm always happier when I know exactly what oil is in my cars?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived