Tyre hunt update

alank

In my quest for a couple of rear tyres, was set on some Goodyear F1,which came second with Yokohama Advance  sport V105 in Evo tyre test. But my son found out that from August this year the Yokohama's are factory fit on new Porsche, and are only £127 for 265/35/18 from Black circles. Looks like decisions been made for me. 

8 minutes ago, alank said:

In my quest for a couple of rear tyres, was set on some Goodyear F1,which came second with Yokohama Advance  sport V105 in Evo tyre test. But my son found out that from August this year the Yokohama's are factory fit on new Porsche, and are only £127 for 265/35/18 from Black circles. Looks like decisions been made for me. 

Yes, but they have only been tested to work safely and provide optimum performance on the 718 Boxster, on the 986 they'll probably explode ?

Good price, be interesting to see how you get on with them. I seem to remember Yokohama's used to be great for grip, but wear rates were quite high due to the soft compound used. This may have all changed by now as that was when I ran a VR6 Corrado many moons ago.

I was looking at Goodyears Assym 3 as well for my next set. Good thing about them is that they are C rated for fuel efficiency, so if the car is a daily driver, it should be felt on MPG counter.

And looking at the reviews, it might be better than the V105s:

Goodyears

Yokohamas

You need to decide for yourself if the premium is worth it.

1 hour ago, alank said:

Yes, not a daily drive so not bothered about wear too much. Ordered them yesterday, £254 for your 2 tyres, not bad I think. We will see?

Im guessing you ordered the Yoko's (?), please report back your findings once fitted and scrubbed in

3 hours ago, alank said:

Yes I Wii do. Interested to see myself, especially with continental N rated on front.

By fitting a combination of N and non N rated tyres on the same car you may well cause a rip in the fabric of space time, or at the very least the car will fall off the road at the first corner, or so I have been told ? Good luck!

22 hours ago, josil said:

I was looking at Goodyears Assym 3 as well for my next set. Good thing about them is that they are C rated for fuel efficiency, so if the car is a daily driver, it should be felt on MPG counter.

And looking at the reviews, it might be better than the V105s:

Goodyears

Yokohamas

You need to decide for yourself if the premium is worth it.

I've pretty much converted all of our cars to Goodyear as they are quiet and good for fuel - the asymmetric 3's were brilliant on my former TT.

Well, had the Yoko,s fitted on rear at w/e, and scrubbed in by sun lunchtime. Ha Ha .   What a nice tyre. Seems to have cured a high-speed vibration I had aswell . The grip seems excellent in dry and they are supposed to be a good wet tyre anyway. Have got my cornering confidence back after getting rid of the cr*p Accelera ones that were on their . When the front Conti N tyres Finnish, the Yoko,s will be on the front no hesitation.  A good £120/ Tyre ( Black circles) investment I think. Alan

Archived