gear stick not centralising

alank

Hi, without me pulling the car apart, was wondering if anyone can tell me what forces the gear stick to return to its central position.
Mine struggles to return to centre from 5th , but seems ok from 2nd. Is it a spring ? I have had the boot up and greased where I can see on the gear stick mechanism, but it still is dodgy 5th to centre. Thanks for any help

I have not checked yet, but an article I was reading suggested that the lateral movement of the gear stick did not use the cables in any way( possibly it does on a 5 speed , with the multi link contraption) , so the Spring Tension when pushing the stick far right or far left must be produced by an external force somewhere around the stick, ??. Will have to remove centre consol I think and have a closer look , any ideas, as I see  this problem seems to be not unusual and mentioned in other forums also.  Cheers

@alank I've posted the above same content a few times over on your previous posts and also again when you popped up on my running report thread with the same issue. Do this first and see how it goes.

Archived