Winter storage & tyre flat spots

r1flyguy

Hi All

some of you maybe using yours cars less as the cold weather approaches & thought I'd offer a link to something I've used in the past.

No OPC tax prices here and also very useful if your jack just won't fit, one if theses under a wheel will be a great help

all 4 for long term storage with the handbrake off. Well worth it IMHO

i have a set that I bought a few years back!!!!

http://www.johnscross.co.uk/fiamma-wheel-tyre-saver-grey.html

1 hour ago, Boxbrownie said:

Great idea, just ordered two pairs.....discount code for 10% is WORLD16..........;)

Nice :)

Do you guys not think you need 2 side by side on the back of a Boxster? (says they can be hooked together for larger tyre widths)

Just thinking :-)

It says they are just over eight inches wide, and with a 265 tyre the tread contact patch should be just over both sides, not enough to cause an issue I'd have thought, but it is something I will be checking.

1 hour ago, motosparkz said:

Do you guys not think you need 2 side by side on the back of a Boxster? (says they can be hooked together for larger tyre widths)

Just thinking :-)

Apologies, for me you are spot on, I have 4 x pairs, for front and rear as my rear tyres are 305's & a pair hooked together are perfect :)

Coolio,

Think I will order 3 sets then, may as well whilst the discount is there :-) BTW, @r1flyguy just read through your extension build, not sure I could find the time to document it like yours lol, done some pretty major changes to our gaff over the years, loads of piccies just not documented, well done :-)

35 minutes ago, motosparkz said:

Coolio,

Think I will order 3 sets then, may as well whilst the discount is there :-) BTW, @r1flyguy just read through your extension build, not sure I could find the time to document it like yours lol, done some pretty major changes to our gaff over the years, loads of piccies just not documented, well done :-)

Thank you @motosparkz it's still ongoing as you are no doubt aware but coming towards the final stages.

It's been enjoyable but Cant wait to get it done as I've sacrificed all my hobbies since I started, only fitting in the odd trackday and meet on the rare occasion. 

Are they ever finished? Ours I think is going to be ongoing for many years yet lol

BTW, anyone looking for these wheel chocks, I have just found these, a little bit cheaper - http://www.grasshopperleisure.co.uk/fiamma-wheel-saver-cradle-8061-p.asp

4 minutes ago, motosparkz said:

Are they ever finished? Ours I think is going to on going for many years yet lol

BTW, anyone looking for these wheel chocks, I have just found these, a little bit cheaper - http://www.grasshopperleisure.co.uk/fiamma-wheel-saver-cradle-8061-p.asp

Your right, I've already plans for the 'old part of the house :laugh:

Good find by the way, :)

12 minutes ago, Boxbrownie said:

They are even cheaper on ebay at £14.43p including postage..... ;)

Depends how many you order, I was going for 3 sets so I win, nahnahnah-nahnaaah B)

• 2 weeks later...

If storing it inside, these things are awful on a painted garage floor - impossible to drive onto as they slide away.  

You really need to jack the car up and lower it down onto them which is really tricky on the wall side of a double garage.  Must be impossible in a single garage.

Save your money!

Its obviously you dont have the knack ;)

my garage floor is painted and i can do it no problem. Does 4wd help though :) or more a hinderence 

11 hours ago, RickLS7 said:

If storing it inside, these things are awful on a painted garage floor - impossible to drive onto as they slide away.  

You really need to jack the car up and lower it down onto them which is really tricky on the wall side of a double garage.  Must be impossible in a single garage.

Save your money!

There is a "non slip" accessory bit that clips on them so if you use them on a smooth surface they will not suffer that problem, I bought a set of four for £10.

http://www.johnscross.co.uk/fiamma-anti-slip-plate-grey.html

Or of course if you didn't want to buy them use a bit of looped washing line rope to do the same thing ;)

21 hours ago, RickLS7 said:

Save your money!

Did you not get any, last night? :huh:

Seriously, I can see your reasoning, but there are ways to hold them in place.  I really think that the best solution is to continue driving though. B) 

I tried a few things but no matter what, I couldn't get the car up all four short of screwing the damn things to the floor.  I tried on two consecutive winters but they went in the bin recently.  

Never had a problem with flat spots by just pumping the tyres up to 50 psi before storage anyway.

• 11 months later...

How long before Flat Spots develop ?

I've fitted some 4" high Rubber Stops to reverse up to as my garage is barely 8" longer than my 987 . . . and a lower 1 1/2" high rubber strip in front of the wheel to stop it running forward . . . So there is a "Cradle" effect but with flat concrete in between them. 

I don't plan to leave the car idle for too long, but would be interested to know how long before Flat spots develop please ?

3 hours ago, Tony Morgan said:

I've fitted some 4" high Rubber Stops to reverse up to as my garage is barely 8" longer than my 987 . . . and a lower 1 1/2" high rubber strip in front of the wheel to stop it running forward . . . So there is a "Cradle" effect but with flat concrete in between them. 

I don't plan to leave the car idle for too long, but would be interested to know how long before Flat spots develop please ?

How long do you think you will leave the car in that position?  Reading online in the past - as long as you inflate the tyres to their maximum pressure and you are in a garage so never gets too cold then flat spots are unlikely to develop even after a few months - if at all. 

4 hours ago, Tony Morgan said:

I left my spitfire for six years with normal pressure in the tyres and didn't notice any flat spots when I drove it again. That's my anecdote, does anyone have an anecdote about when their tyres did get flat spots and how long it took?

I suspect you'll have no problem, but would just pump the tyres to max pressure just as insurance, as long as you remember to let them down again when you drive it next. Maybe put a note on the steering wheel.

I get flat spots on my turbo whenever its left for more than 6 weeks or so. Horrible thud thud thud through the steering wheel when you first drive it. Takes about 10 miles to sort itself out.

Oh so it doesn't seem like much of a problem after all, I doubt she'll be kept in for more than 3 or 4 weeks max . . . And I think I can cope with a few miles of thumping.

So long as there's no Lasting Damage ?

Archived