VIN information

John2000

My car war registered November 2000 so when I checked my VIN information I was surprised to find it was made in 2001.

It must be a time machine when I bought it they previous owner said it had been owned by a Doctor for most of its life.

When I asked Porsche how this happened they said it was common to register car early.

So don't assume your car was made the year it was registered it may be a year younger, normally a good thing but not if it put your car in the bad date range for the IMS mine as done 130.000 so if if was going to go I think it would have gone by now I hope!!!!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you confusing Build Date with Model Year?

I cant imagine you would be able to register a car that has not been built and therefore would not yet have a VIN number assigned to it or anything.

It is common for manufacturers to start selling their Model Year Cars from the end of third quarter/start of forth quarter of the previous year. So likely to have actually been built from mid-year onwards.

Mine for example, was registered mid January 2001, and is a MY2001 but obviously must have been built in 2000.

30 minutes ago, Tex24v said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you confusing Build Date with Model Year?

I cant imagine you would be able to register a car that has not been built and therefore would not yet have a VIN number assigned to it or anything.

It is common for manufacturers to start selling their Model Year Cars from the end of third quarter/start of forth quarter of the previous year. So likely to have actually been built from mid-year onwards.

Mine for example, was registered mid January 2001, and is a MY2001 but obviously must have been built in 2000.

No it was registered in November 2000 but according to the VIN it was made in 2001 I did not understand how this was possible either that's why I rang Porsche Wolverhampton and they said it's common for a car to be registered early how they know the VIN number is anyone's guess.

The 10th digit of the VIN represents the model year, not the manufacturing date.

Cars can be registered before they are sold - and often are in order to apparently inflate the numbers produced - they are then typically sold off at a discount to list price. I think that's what your garage thought you were asking.

Just now, John2000 said:

No it was registered in November 2000 but according to the VIN it was made in 2001 I did not understand how this was possible either that's why I rang Porsche Wolverhampton and they said it's common for a car to be registered early how they know the VIN number is anyone's guess.

That is odd.  

I've just checked mine (December registration) and although it is an MY11 model, the VIN still shows it as a 2010 manufacture date - so you're right in dismissing Tex's suggestion (which was also my first thought).

36 minutes ago, Araf said:

That is odd.  

I've just checked mine (December registration) and although it is an MY11 model, the VIN still shows it as a 2010 manufacture date - so you're right in dismissing Tex's suggestion (which was also my first thought).

Yours is just an old car, sold as a new car :laugh:

39 minutes ago, Araf said:

That is odd.  

Cant agree I'm afraid. How do you explain my car?

What makes you think yours is a MY2011, not sure it says anywhere other than in the VIN?

35 minutes ago, T24RES said:

Yours is just an old car, sold as a new car :laugh:

32 minutes ago, Tex24v said:

Cant agree I'm afraid. How do you explain my car?

You're both right. :o  I had assumed that as mine was a late 2010 registration, it was a 2011 model, but it was indeed a 2010 build and registration. :detetive: 

I can't believe that the strange build spec was for stock, so maybe it was a cancelled order that then got re-sold. :unsure: 

Archived