Steering Scrunching Sound

Gutley

Recently my car has developed an occasional  scrunching sound when turning at low speed. Not sure it happens during normal driving as it's quite a subtle sound. 

I've done a video ( at night) which demonstrates it happening twice. I'm inside the car:

I'll get the wife to help me tomorrow to see if the noise can be heard from outside the car.

Anyone else experienced the same thing? Googling turns up possible Power Steering pump on its way out. Anything else?

BTW. it's not the Ackerman effect as it dosn't require much turning. 

2 minutes ago, Mrkevuk said:

Mine has just started to this at very low speeds to . Don't hear it over 10-15 mph . Hope it's not to expensive. 

You go first and let me know?

Will check fluid level when I get a dry day. Doesn't look like this weekend though?

If it's low and I need to top it up, should I just suck out all the old stuff and refill. Seems the Pentosin only comes in 1L and the whole system uses that amount anyway. Have read Bentley manual about filling the system - seems to involve lots of engine starts and stops, followed by a few full lock to lock movements. Anything I should be wary of?

I had to top mine up a while ago and I used some leak sealing stuff even though I could not find a leak anywhere, I can't recall what it was but

something from Halfrauds, the noise has not come back since and the steering feels fine and quiet at low speeds.

Al

I had a similar issue, it started subtly like that, then increased intensity and noise level, turned out to be the power steering motor, that might not be the solution for you but seems similar.

Was around £600 to fix with genuine Porsche parts.

2 hours ago, the baron said:

I had a similar issue, it started subtly like that, then increased intensity and noise level, turned out to be the power steering motor, that might not be the solution for you but seems similar.

Was around £600 to fix with genuine Porsche parts.

Presume you mean pump rather than motor unless you've had an electric power steering conversion. I've seen such a kit on a 964. 

11 hours ago, edc said:

Presume you mean pump rather than motor unless you've had an electric power steering conversion. I've seen such a kit on a 964. 

Yes your correct, pump, my apologies 

Archived