Porsche newbie!

flyingdoc93

Hi chaps!

Just a post to say hello really.

I have just started working as a doctor and its been 6 long years of study. Thinking I deserve a small treat but can't decide if I'm being ridiculous by thinking of a Boxster. Always wanted one and I just have to stop and peek in if there's once parked up.

Budget would be around £15K and it has to be an S. 

How reliable are they generally? What would you look out for when buying?

Thanks!

Welcome and congratulations on completing your studies. Will you have time to drive as a JD? ;)

Have a root around the forums. There's a buyer's guide (albeit for a 986 but still helpful for a 987 purchase), posts about common issues, and a layman's guide to IMS bearing issue. 

Look carefully at the differences between a 987.1S and a 987.2 2.9.

Yes there are a few horses less, but the engine and PCM are so much better. Also PDK if you have any interest in button-change gearboxes. I'd strongly advise trying to scrape the latter at that budget. Try to look past the S thing; that amount of power is not usable legally on UK roads anyway.

Generally they are very reliable, of course there can be age-related issues (another reason to go for the 2.9!).  Just be aware of the running costs. They hold 9 litres of oil rather than 5 of most cars, and the tyres especially on 19in wheels can cost a fair bit. And try to avoid paying Porsche prices for things, there are much cheaper mechanics and parts suppliers out there.

Good luck, and let us know when we can see a green flashing light on a Boxster :) 

Thanks guys!

Any general advice on red flags when looking at one. Going for a look see on Monday. 

Anyone use warranty wise? Are they any good or just wriggle out? 

Is is it possible to do oil changes etc yourself? I own a classic aircraft and I'm uses to doing filter changes and all that...

Thanks again. 

Very possible to DIY.

Not sure I'd bother with warranty wise. 

Do you know just how much Boxsters vary, i.e. with the different options possible?

Feel free to describe a car here and The Panel will deliver an opinion :) 

Ah okay thanks. 

Hmmm been reading around for about 10 months but no not really I suppose. I mean I've seen differences in the ones a test driven. One was a bit older and had basic spec but another had a spoiler which you could deploy for example. 

Haha on the green light thing it's actually a weird gap in the law. The law allows its use for any doctor attending to a patient (so going to work is fine). It also says it's a courtesy light so other drivers do not have to move and you mustn't break any laws or speed limits etc.... maybe it is worth a punt :)

On 28 January 2017 at 10:42 PM, flyingdoc93 said:

Haha on the green light thing it's actually a weird gap in the law. The law allows its use for any doctor attending to a patient (so going to work is fine). It also says it's a courtesy light so other drivers do not have to move and you mustn't break any laws or speed limits etc.... maybe it is worth a punt :)

i used one once on a home visit and the local low-lifes had tried to steal it!

not really worth advertising who you are these days! :(

Haha you must also work in Nottingham! No, sad state of affairs. 

I saw a beauty at the weekend at Cavendish Porsche in Notts and the main guy was amazing - what he didn't know about cars! I did unfortunately have to bottle it at the last minute as the insurance price was insane. Also couldn't get over the fact £300 would be leaving my account each month for finance. Think I need to save some more so at least I'll be in positive equity if I had to sell it and there'd be cash spare for maintenance when needed! 

I'd get a loan rather than finance from dealer. Better rates to be had for sure. Im just up road in Matlock. If i was you I think id consider a nice 2.9 Plenty fast enough for first proper sports car (excuse me if sounding patronising there) But it is honestly a great car and u should get a newer one over an 'S' Lots of lovely 2009 cars around 15-18k 

And welcome. It's a friendly bunch here :)

24 minutes ago, Leonard said:

I'd get a loan rather than finance from dealer. Better rates to be had for sure. Im just up road in Matlock. If i was you I think id consider a nice 2.9 Plenty fast enough for first proper sports car (excuse me if sounding patronising there) But it is honestly a great car and u should get a newer one over an 'S' Lots of lovely 2009 cars around 15-18k 

And welcome. It's a friendly bunch here :)

I'd second that, 2.9 is plenty fast enough! :thumbsup_still:

Strangely the loan from the bank was actually a worse rate! Got 7% from dealer. 

Hmmm why the 2.9 is it just because for me budget I could get newer? Supposedly the 3.4 doesn't have IMS issues either - that's why it's better than the 3.2? 

2.9 is newer, i.e. gen2, updated engine, updated cockpit and within your budget without the expense of an S. I think there is also a perceived issue with bore score in the 3.4 as well but not entirely sure about that, others know more.

Having recently bought a 987.2 S I'd say if you enjoy driving look at the 2.9, my car hits silly speeds without even trying and the PDK box makes it even easier.

i love my car but I'm always mindful of the speed I might hit without trying.

On 2/1/2017 at 9:57 PM, flyingdoc93 said:

Strangely the loan from the bank was actually a worse rate! Got 7% from dealer. 

Hmmm why the 2.9 is it just because for me budget I could get newer? Supposedly the 3.4 doesn't have IMS issues either - that's why it's better than the 3.2? 

Tesco or Sainsbury internet loans?

Hi and welcome btw :)

Archived