What is this......???

M12MTR

Hi folks..... pulled my 987.2 from.the garage today to take for a drive / warm up and noticed this on the garage floor..... it was green/yellow  (illuminous even) and sort of dried / crystalised.

I don't think engine oil.... and zero signs of a leak from engine area - it is below offside rear wheel....

Thoughts and advice appreciated. 

http://imgur.com/a/jyndz

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/jyndz"><a href="//imgur.com/jyndz"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script> 

Thanks Paul..... Yes definitely green / yellow. 

Do the power steering pipes come from the engine (at rear) then head forwards????

I don't think it's oil and not sue if it is coolant. Air con leakage or power steering?

Offside rear wheel is where the coolant overflow exits, so that would be my guess too.  Check the colour of your coolant (when the car is cold).

15 hours ago, M12MTR said:

Thanks ^^^^^^^ ....... will check in the morning.

If it is coolant from the overflow is this anything to worry about?

No.  When the engine stops, you may get a hot-spot in the block and because the water is no longer circulating the liquid close to the hot area boils, pressurising the system.  If there's no room in the expansion tank to take this pressure or it's above 1 bar of pressure, then the coolant cap vents excess pressure.  It's normal operation and happens quite a lot if the car has just returned from a spirited drive. :) 

Yes.  I think you've been around here long enough to not have Porsche Paranoia but it can strike us all at any time.  It's just a car. :)

Thanks for your advice ;-) @Araf

(Yes nearly 2 years I've had the Box now.... and when I took it out Sunday it drove very very nice..... so planted and quick. Super sound and acceleration. 

BTW.  The yellow liquid patch was on garage floor BEFORE my run out.... so this must have dropped from last weekend's run).

Update... I've looked in boot and checked coolant... all fine and correct level.... but my coolant is pinky / orange in colour definitely NOT this luminous greeny yellow patch under the Box.    8-) 

Someone has suggested air-con 'grease fluid type leak stuff'..... could it be this???? Ie. Air con leak at joint / pipe?

18 hours ago, M12MTR said:

Someone has suggested air-con 'grease fluid type leak stuff'..... could it be this???? Ie. Air con leak at joint / pipe?

Yes, air con systems usually have a marker dye.  The compressor is on that side of the engine too, I believe.

Thanks Araf, so, is it likely the dye / air con has a leak - compressor / pipe / joint ??? - and how likely could it leak a small amount once and then nothing since?

(Porsche-paranoia or not - this has me puzzled).

3 hours ago, Araf said:

Yes, air con systems usually have a marker dye.  The compressor is on that side of the engine too, I believe.

Thanks Araf - looking online I think I've seen the Air Con Compressor on the front right hand side of the engine - ie. remove engine cover behind seats and the compressor is on the right as you look at the engine - so just behind the passenger seat on a UK car - this is opposite to where the leak spot was found on mine. 

Thanks. I'm tempted to agree with air con fluid leak oil stuff.

But how come no sign of leakage anymore...... I did put air con on during my run at the weekend (my run out was AFTER the leak was noticed on my garage floor).

Could an air con joint / connection / seal / pipe leak then seal up when used again????

Thanks @Macthehaggis.

I put the air con on the other day..... and used a house temp sensor and it read 9'C front the air vent on dash.... and it felt that cold to me.

So I'm hoping a one-off leak somehow??

(A dry seal / broken joint in the air con piping dropping some fluid? But why only once?)

Ummm. Suppose needs lifting up to inspect properly.

Ah sorry... it was a house temp card thermometer.... the type used in kids bedrooms.....I had it in the car... put the car heating setting on hot... the temp on the card thermometer rose to 24'C..... then I switched the A/C on ... held the thermometer next to the air vent.... on LO on air con the thermometer dropped .... to its lowest shown setting at 9'C.

But I think it was blowing colder.

(Anyone know what is the correct LO cold setting on the Box sure con?).

So. From this I'm assuming the A/C is working??

I'm not sure if that proves that the ac is working. When you turn on the air con the system will take in cold outside air to help with the cooling so you will see a drop. A better test may be to get the cabin hot and with the recirculate on try the same test. I think that the ac should be able to get the temperature down to about 4 - 6 degrees.

I find that the hotter it is outside, the colder the ac feels. But that's probably just an illusion because of the relative difference between the ambient temperature and what the ac can produce.

Archived