Thinking of changing steering wheel

Frankp2112

I am thinking of changing the steering wheel in my 2003 986 to give  a bit better leg room - I have already done the GT3 console delete which helped.

Couple of questions:

Does anyone have any experience of using a 340mm wheel ? Is it too small?

i av the 38cm 3 spoke wheel on the car - is there a demand for these 2nd hand?

Thanks

Frank

2 hours ago, Frankp2112 said:

I am thinking of changing the steering wheel in my 2003 986 to give  a bit better leg room - I have already done the GT3 console delete which helped.

Couple of questions:

Does anyone have any experience of using a 340mm wheel ? Is it too small?

i av the 38cm 3 spoke wheel on the car - is there a demand for these 2nd hand?

Thanks

Frank

The only problem you'll find is you'll block off the top of the instrument cluster with a smaller wheel. 

Raid do some airbag aftermarket wheels that are smaller to satisfy the safety freaks.

34 minutes ago, That986 said:

I've done the same in my car and it does create more room and imo makes the cabin look neater as well.

Any pics of what this looks like?

My first 986 had the delete and when I got the current one I banged my leg for a month or so. Used to it now, but given the option I would delete it. Not sure what lies beneath will be palatable though... 

Lower seats significantly help with this issue.

I can't drive Old Farts 2.5 as it has standard seats and I prefer to sit close to the wheel.

I have the GT3 buckets that are about an inch lower and I don't even need the centre console delete to accommodate my lardy 6ft frame. 

I'm sure I've read that even the 987 seats are lower (about 1/2 inch) and a direct bolt on replacement.

38 minutes ago, edo said:

aside from going smaller, I highly recommend this chap for a re-trim.  http://royalsteeringwheels.com/

used them twice now

I have my Royal steering wheel on order - having it fitted on the 25th March (whilst en-route to the simulator day), they look to be really good quality and online reviews are all very positive...

There are quite a number of forum members who have used Royal...

Archived