PCM failed

T24RES

Once upon a time - I left the car running with hazards on at an IRTC, about 10mins. I returned to switch off the engine, hazards remained on for a further 10-15mins. Car remained unlocked.

Jumped in, fired up and .......................nothing from the PCM screen, blank like its off off. Stopped a mile up the road, turned everything off and using the fob shut the car down. Still nothing, the offside OBC style clock stated 'Audio-Off', 'Phone-not connected', the map was still active and working correctly. The PCM did not respond to any of the buttons on it, no sound at all.

Drove to work ~ 10miles, parked up and returned 45 minutes later to find it inactive as previously described.

Fuses were AIO, hard reset the PCM by pulling the fuse B10.

3-2-1 .......................back in the room, all working as normal.

Anyone had similar gremlins in the PCM3?

Not sure if mine is PCM 3, but mine failed completely - see details on the thread just down the page.  I noticed you said your MFD still had the map when it was down - mine didn't, just the engine displays worked.

Must have a gremlin there somewhere, but it started up again so may be OK from now on.

I get feeling 981 is really susceptible to battery depletion and you draw too much PCM goes into 'limp mode'. Heck it can't even do auto start stop for longer than 10 secs with heater and PCM on......

28 minutes ago, Leonard said:

I get feeling 981 is really susceptible to battery depletion and you draw too much PCM goes into 'limp mode'. Heck it can't even do auto start stop for longer than 10 secs with heater and PCM on......

Yes the start stop is very poor, you see the voltage dive as soon as stop engages, and the engine restarts when it gets to about 12 v which is often a matter of seconds. My wife's Mokka can easily sit for minutes at a time, yet compare the battery sizes and the Porsche battery is about double the size.  

Your PCM issue is Similar to an issue I had in an old car which I think was due to a stuck relay, I wonder if a low voltage allowed a relay to somehow stick?  I never got to the bottom of my issue which surfaced about once or twice a year.

My own PCM is being replaced tomorrow under warranty. USB drops out all the time (has done this since I had it) and sound disappears from all apart from sub (been doing this 2 months and fortunately OPC witnessed it last week).

Despite the PCM being changed the fault on my audio output persists. Got in car to go home yesterday and only muted bass sound. Cycled power and ignition many times to no avail. Fine this morning. Back to Portsmouth Porsche Centre tomorrow.

9 hours ago, GTB981 said:

Despite the PCM being changed the fault on my audio output persists. Got in car to go home yesterday and only muted bass sound. Cycled power and ignition many times to no avail. Fine this morning. Back to Portsmouth Porsche Centre tomorrow.

That's not great news, sorry to hear that. 

Spoke to mechanic at Portsmouth today. He thinks my fault ref sound may be a voltage stabiliser. If you put key in and crank the engine straight away it is meant to maintain 12V at all ancillaries. He feels this is where the problem lies and is doing more tests. He has replicated the fault several times. This may explain why sometimes the seat does not move forward automatically. I`m currently in a very nice Macan S diesel with panoramic roof !

They had the car 3 days. Still not fixed. They are waiting to hear back from Porsche. Disappointed they virtually demanded I drive to Portsmouth late on a Friday so they could have their Macan back for a Saturday viewing ! Made them come and collect it. Have I just been unlucky ? In 22 months I had all the issues with their bodged wheels on a 2700 mile ex demo car, service interval incorrectly set, failed heater blower, failed A/C condenser, sill scuff plates show different models, now the ongoing PCM fault. Seriously thinking of getting shot before warranty expires in September.

7 hours ago, GTB981 said:

Nearest one, easiest to get to and they are making progress albeit slow......

I don't think many garages are good at electrical problems to be fair... (or unfair lol)

Got a call from Portsmouth today. Porsche have requested extended tests. It is going in for a week after Easter and I have requested a 718 loaner. Interestingly not only do the speakers drop out at start up sometimes but also the seat auto memory and the seat does not move forward. Be interesting to see what they find and glad it`s under warranty. If left could it affect more things ? who knows. Time to get rid come September.....or before.

Archived