Sound symposer

daz05

I've been thinking about whether or not it's possible to retrofit the sound symposer from the GTS.  

As per the 991 design I hope it is just a sound membrane tube from airbox into cabin. It appears that the GTS and S share an airbox so perhaps a case of buying the part and installing it.

I had read that the outlet into the cabin in behind the firewall carpet and so I thought I'd take a look. I was pleased to find that my car had the hole with a blanking cover.

DB773FEF-5B13-4113-80B3-504D6BC52F4D_zps

Unfortunately, there is nothing behind the plate but it gave me some confidence that it's something that can be done.

Is there anyone on here with a GTS that would be willing to pull the carpet back and investigate further?

There is some further information in this thread on Planet 9.

http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-and-boxster-modifications/96990-i-want-sound-symposer-2.html#/topics/96990?page=1

I wasn't hoping someone with a GTS would be kind enough to take a look back there and tell us what's in place.

I expect to see some kind of tubing with a one way valve inside connected to the air box. If we can obtain the part number it may be fairly easy to retrofit.

15 hours ago, topradio said:

No, I mean that the SS is not much more that a hole?

And a tube from the airbox to the hole with a butterfly in the tube, from what I gather. :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know if there is any interest in this but I've now found the solution (or at least I hope I have). The required parts are either here or on order, drivers side airbox housing, symposer and connector tube and hope to install shortly.

Hoping it will sound like this - skip to 2mins.

• 2 weeks later...

It is possible, the required parts are around £250 new or less if you find them online from a dismantler, it should be simple but since access is a pain you would be best getting an independent garage to do some of the install since access will be difficult.

If you are planning on installing the upgraded plenum and throttle body I've read about online you could do this at the same time for minimal cost /effort and your car will sound like the video above.

• 3 years later...
On 4/11/2017 at 12:26 PM, daz05 said:

I wasn't hoping someone with a GTS would be kind enough to take a look back there and tell us what's in place.

I expect to see some kind of tubing with a one way valve inside connected to the air box. If we can obtain the part number it may be fairly easy to retrofit.

I can have a look in mine later on Daz..

Will report back.

Hi guys, this is now all installed and I love it. the  induction roar noise at the top end and into next gear is sublime.   @GTSMarky, @ar3910

3m 43s in you can see the piping, it connects from the airbox to a small hole in firewall.

1 hour ago, daz05 said:

Hi guys, this is now all installed and I love it. the  induction roar noise at the top end and into next gear is sublime.   @GTSMarky, @ar3910

3m 43s in you can see the piping, it connects from the airbox to a small hole in firewall.

Brilliant - I am a spanner sometimes as I didn't twig this was from 2017 originally..  Good job I went for a cycle first instead of pulling the car interior apart..

2 hours ago, GTSMarky said:

Brilliant - I am a spanner sometimes as I didn't twig this was from 2017 originally..  Good job I went for a cycle first instead of pulling the car interior apart..

😂😂😂 That would have been hilarious.

Archived