Folks with a factory 03 or 04 top (hood), be aware...

boxtaboy

I put an 03 top and frame (hood) on my 01 Boxster. I'm noticing that after you've had the top down for a while, and then you put the top back up, there's a raised bump in the fabric that eventually flattens, but is clearly a point where eventually I think it will wear through. I posted this thread in the 986forum as well, and there are people there who say they already have holes in that exact location. Upon inspection, there is plastic tab that sits on the 4th rib that pokes at the fabric of the top when the top is put down. See pics below of the tab itself. The second pic shows my proof that the tab presses against the fabric (I put baby powder on the tab and then lowered the top).

My temporary solution is to put thick Gorilla tape in that spot to help protect the fabric. Some have removed the tab, and I may end up doing that as well, but for now will keep it there because I believe Porsche put it there for a reason. 

61F7BE3B-F89F-410A-89F5-36F5A2F2B5F3_zps

C7658FA2-370A-404E-BE7B-75A8A6473754_zps

CA98CEA1-2F83-4E61-992A-AAADF33D09DF_zps

Is this peculiar to fitting a later hood on an earlier model or to the hoods of 03/4 models generally. If the latter I'm surprised I've not seen it mentioned here before now.

5 minutes ago, Boxob said:

Is this peculiar to fitting a later hood on an earlier model or to the hoods of 03/4 models generally. If the latter I'm surprised I've not seen it mentioned here before now.

It affects all owners of 03 or 04 vehicles (or anyone who has retrofitted this top/hood), as the plastic tab is present in all of the tops. There are folks with 03/04 cars that are reporting the same problem on my thread at 986forum. I have had this top  retrofitted to my car for many many years. It has only become noticeable in the recent year, which leads me to believe it takes time for the tab to damage that spot.

It doesn't affect mine (MY1998) but it's intriguing! Is it one side only? Is there a tab on the other side and if so is it the same for UK spec vehicles.  I wonder what the tab is supposed to do?

21 minutes ago, Boxob said:

It doesn't affect mine (MY1998) but it's intriguing! Is it one side only? Is there a tab on the other side and if so is it the same for UK spec vehicles.  I wonder what the tab is supposed to do?

Do you have an 03 or 04 hood with the glass rear window? The plastic windowed versions, I don't think have the 4th rib with the tab I'm referring to. And yes, it's on both sides.

No, as I said mine's MY 1998 so with a plastic screen but I'm intrigued by the issue and that your's is the first post I've seen reporting it. I would have thought more "complaints" by now on here. Perhaps your hood folds oddly? Difficult to think Porsche would put a tab in a position knowing it would wear through the hood.

1 minute ago, jonnoshore said:

Is it to locate the glass housing was

Hen stowed away and contain the weight in lateral g cornering ?

I have a friend who thinks the tabs are there to prevent another part in the frame to move behind that 4th rib. I think it could also be there to prevent the 3rd rib in the frame from hitting the 4th rib, and to keep the whole hood from moving laterally when in motion with the hood down.

Mine is a facelift 986, so has the glass rear screen from new.

I was only just checking the fabric on my hood yesterday when I was cleaning it.

I definitely have no such marks on mine, and you would have thought that after 13 years or so it would have appeared by now.

But certainly something to keep an eye out for.

3 minutes ago, Boxob said:

No, as I said mine's MY 1998 so with a plastic screen but I'm intrigued by the issue and that your's is the first post I've seen reporting it. I would have thought more "complaints" by now on here. Perhaps your hood folds oddly? Difficult to think Porsche would put a tab in a position knowing it would wear through the hood.

Once I posted up my thread on the 986forum, a few folks with 03/04 cars already said they have holes in their fabric in the same spot. I had my top for many years already, and it is just now exhibiting this problem. Over the years, I think the pressure point gets weaker and weaker, and a bulge forms, and then eventually a hole. I don't think Porsche knew the tab would eventually rub a hole through...as I said, it has taken many years for the problem to surface (over 10 yrs), which is really the service life of the top.

2 minutes ago, cjd said:

Mine is a facelift 986, so has the glass rear screen from new.

I was only just checking the fabric on my hood yesterday when I was cleaning it.

I definitely have no such marks on mine, and you would have thought that after 13 years or so it would have appeared by now.

But certainly something to keep an eye out for.

Just so you are aware, those bumps appear after I put the top up, but disappear totally after a few hours (when the top is up for a while). Try looking at that location right after you put the hood back up.

I had those annoying bumps appear in the top fabric even after applying the gorilla tape, so I just removed those tabs. They are easy to come out with a T20 torx screw, and can be returned if really needed. I see no need though. Removed them, put the top down, drove around to see if I could detect any extra movement in the top, pulled back into my house and put the top back up. No more marks on the roof fabric and I can't see any difference in the way the top works. Done. 

AF593A46-E3A7-4024-97E5-36D00E634707_zps

Hi, l to have those bumps. To remove the tabs guess you need to peel back inner liner, at what point is the roof positioned to access the tabs. How do you know which tabs to remove in relation to the bumps. Just want to make sure l do the right thing and wonder why those tabs are there if roof works fine without.

thanks 

33 minutes ago, Muddy said:

Hi, l to have those bumps. To remove the tabs guess you need to peel back inner liner, at what point is the roof positioned to access the tabs. How do you know which tabs to remove in relation to the bumps. Just want to make sure l do the right thing and wonder why those tabs are there if roof works fine without.

thanks 

Once you peel back the hoodliner, look in between, and you'll see that there's only one tab that is present. You can't miss it. Then, use a T20 torx screw to undo the tab. In other to prevent the tab and screw from falling down the roof section, I just stuffed a rag below the tab prior to unscrewing it. 

Roof works fine with those tabs removed, and no more bumps in the fabric after the roof is raised. I also then removed the tape I had there, as there's no longer anything rubbing against it. 

12 minutes ago, Muddy said:

Is this done with the hood fully closed and does the inner linner peel back and then justs peels back again. Thank you.

You do this with the roof fully closed. First pic below shows where you just move the headliner aside a bit to sweeze your arm through to access the tab. Just look in there and you'll see the tab clearly. You don't have to actually remove the headliner. Just move it with your hand like I have it in my picture below. The second pic shows that the top still goes down correctly without those tabs.

6F078E93-1A8B-467F-AD59-05C3AFFF5EE3_zps

0849CB46-C2D5-4504-9130-BDB295DB9664_zps

7 minutes ago, Muddy said:

Cheers would buy you a pint of Sussex ale. ? Thanks boxtaboy. 

Anytime, and glad to help!

On 2017-5-3 at 7:21 PM, boxtaboy said:

So now you know there's a fix. ;) 

Indeed, I think even I can follow those instructions, good work. Many thanks for the headsup

Archived