De badge or not De badge?

martyn

Keep looking at the 'Boxster S' de-cals on the boot lid, not sure if I would prefer them removed and just keep 'Porsche' on its own. The font doesn't match and it looks a bit untidy, I can easily remove with a length of dental floss, but before I do I wonder what others on here have done.

Also, if I want to put them back to sell the car, would I need to source a special double sided tape of the requisite width?

what do you think?

Hi @martyn.  One thing to consider is the position of the "P O R S C H E" badge on the boot.  If the car was originally specified with the "debadge" option, I suspect that badge was positioned lower than it would have been if it was above the "Boxster S" badge.

Here's mine, debadged option, as supplied:

ZJ9ffgt.jpg

If I'm right and you remove the "Boxster S" badge, the "P O R S C H E" badge might look too high on the bootlid and a bit odd.

I'll measure the position of the "P O R S C H E" badge on mine and post this so you can check yours to see if it's different.

Remembered I'd posted this before.  Here's the info:

My 981 has the "debadge" option, with just the P O R S C H E lettering on the bootlid.  The "official" positioning has 40mm spaces between each letter and the letters follow a slight upward curve, though not as much as the curvature of bottom edge of the bootlid: the gap between the bottom of the P and the E and the bottom edge of the bootlid is 73mm.  The gap between the bottom of the S and the bottom edge of the bootlid is 81mm.  I think this is done to make the lettering look straight when seen against the curvature of the bootlid.   If the letters were actually in a straight line, they would appear to be curving downwards, like a "sad" face.

Hope this is helpful. :)

I've also thought about this but come to the conclusion that it doesn't actually look any better with just the Porsche lettering., just seems a little too empty.

Ideally all the existing lettering in black would be my choice.

1 hour ago, Daniel Joseph said:

Remembered I'd posted this before.  Here's the info:

My 981 has the "debadge" option, with just the P O R S C H E lettering on the bootlid.  The "official" positioning has 40mm spaces between each letter and the letters follow a slight upward curve, though not as much as the curvature of bottom edge of the bootlid: the gap between the bottom of the P and the E and the bottom edge of the bootlid is 73mm.  The gap between the bottom of the S and the bottom edge of the bootlid is 81mm.  I think this is done to make the lettering look straight when seen against the curvature of the bootlid.   If the letters were actually in a straight line, they would appear to be curving downwards, like a "sad" face.

Hope this is helpful. :)

Thanks Daniel for your info, I have just been out to the garage with a tape measure and The P and E is 93mm from edge of boot lid and the S is 101mm so you are spot on, it seems they add 20mm to the distance when incorporating the Boxster S letters. Now will it look odd I take off the Boxster s bit? Obviously I won't go down the road of moving the PORSCHE letters down?

55 minutes ago, Paulo123 said:

I debadged the boxster bit off the boot when I bought it, 

it it looks much cleaner without it

Paul, when you get a mo, any chance of a picture of your boot lid with the de-badged bit showing as Daniels is the official de-badged version, it would be nice to see what mine would look like.?

41 minutes ago, martyn said:

Paul, when you get a mo, any chance of a picture of your boot lid with the de-badged bit showing as Daniels is the official de-badged version, it would be nice to see what mine would look like.?

2 mins

4 minutes ago, Daniel Joseph said:

Hi @martyn.  I played about with my photo above to give you an idea as to how it might look:

JCr3HnU.jpg

What do you think?

Thanks for that Daniel, i definitely prefer the official de-badged version now I can see a direct comparison. My decision now is would it still be an improvement if I went ahead with it......

1 minute ago, Paulo123 said:

That's after I removed the boxster badge, I'm thinking it's in the same place when I compare…

Thanks for that Paul, it looks much better de-badged, also what colour is your car, it's probably the light but it looks a great ice blue colour!

2 minutes ago, martyn said:

Thanks for that Paul, it looks much better de-badged, also what colour is your car, it's probably the light but it looks a great ice blue colour!

Good eye !!

yep it's rhodium silver which has a blue flip.  Weather was a bit glum here today so gave it 3 coats of autoglym 4d wax so it's looking decent.

funny thing, a good friend of mine is in in the local cid team and he told me years ago to always debadge my cars as nowerdays the car thieves……they get told specifically what to pinch in advance ( down to engine size and age ) so if they can't be sure what your car is they just move onto the next target.  Not sure I buy it 100 percent as round here they will nick out with 4 wheels but I've done it on my last 4 or 5 cars. 

Seeing the real thing on @Paulo123's Boxster, I have a slight preference for the lower position of the "P O R S C H E" badge on mine, but prefer the cleaner "debadged" look either way.  

I agree that Rhodium Silver looks great, BTW! ?  What colour is yours, Martyn?

Porsche really should go easy on the badging: this is horrible, IMHO:

f4tNkWD.jpg

Agate grey with Luxor beige interior, I am struggling to upload pictures what's the easiest way to do it?

Just now, martyn said:

Agate grey with Luxor beige interior, I am struggling to upload pictures what's the easiest way to do it?

Email it yourself under 900kb ( the medium setting on iPhone ) and you can then attach in topic by selecting the choose file 

Thanks, will try emailing myself the smaller size pictures first, stand by!

AEE77752-3E4F-408F-A869-68DAECDACF22.JPG

Haven't got too many suitable pictures but will do a before and after picture on the boot lid when I remove the decals. Thanks to both of you for picture uploading advice.

3 minutes ago, Daniel Joseph said:

Oh, that's very nice!  ?

Nothing to fear from the driveway police on here either...:D

Thanks, drive was nearly finished when the picture was taken, the big green bag was topsoil, not the weeks food shop!

Archived