Thinking about taking the plunge - 718S

Bamp

New to your forum - liking what I'm reading...

I have a 2 year old TTS, was thinking about changing it to the new TTRS - not making them for the UK market until late 2018, cant wait that long so very interested in the 718S, I know theres been lots of discussion about this but what should and what shouldn't I spec on it?

Your thoughts please...

That depends on how much you want to spend, options can easily add £10-20k to the list price eg PDK or manual is >£2k difference ???

Asking such an open ended question you will simply get a wish list of what people would add if they where ordering one, which 99% will not be, its easy to spend virtual / someone else's money. I would ask what did people actually spec and if they had a budget they worked to as being more relevant. 

Personally if your new to porsche I would arrange a test drive at an OPC and speak to them about options. Some are not obvious eg dual air is actually full climate, what do you get with sports chrono (dynamic engine mounts ?) etc... etc.....

2 hours ago, Bamp said:

New to your forum - liking what I'm reading...

I have a 2 year old TTS, was thinking about changing it to the new TTRS - not making them for the UK market until late 2018, cant wait that long so very interested in the 718S, I know theres been lots of discussion about this but what should and what shouldn't I spec on it?

Your thoughts please...

Hi

the waiting list for a 781s is 8 - 10 months at the minute mate so not much difference. 

so so speccing it is pointless since the wait is the same, also its completely personal anyway.  

When you order one you pay a few grand deposit and then lock in the options about 5 months before delivery. 

I bought an ex demo last week that was perfect,  there are a few stunners out there as ex demo cars if you ring around

1 hour ago, Paulo123 said:

Hi

the waiting list for a 781s is 8 - 10 months at the minute mate so not much difference. 

so so speccing it is pointless since the wait is the same, also its completely personal anyway.  

When you order one you pay a few grand deposit and then lock in the options about 5 months before delivery. 

I bought an ex demo last week that was perfect,  there are a few stunners out there as ex demo cars if you ring around

I presume you are talking about the cayman as the boxster wait time is less

A friend of mines son has had a new TTRS for a while now and as all the reviews say, it's a pocket rocket with loads of understeer, unlike the718s; loads of performance with a chassis to match. 

As to what to spec, what do you want from your car? Speaking from my own perspective; I required optimum performance combined with optimum handling. I happen to like manual, I don't like buttons that increase the db rating and attract attention whist doing zero to increase performance. As a musician, a boxster is the least likely place I could think of to seriously listen to music, even with the top up! I did require cruise control to keep me out of trouble in 30, 40 and those dam 50 average speed cameras. F&R parking sensors, phone prep and dual climate control for that occasional trip with my wife.

I bought a 981S in Agate grey with X73 sports suspension, 20" carrera classics and the above requirements. It will be 4 years old this October  but it's lived up to expectations and will be having its annual outing to the Porsche centre at Silverstone on Thursday..........can't wait.

decide what YOU want and enjoy?

2 hours ago, Paulo123 said:

Hi

Based on my recent experience at three different OPC there are plenty of new 718 boxsters and some (though less) caymans sat in showrooms waiting for owners. These are unregistered but tend to have high spec and no discount to speak of so its spec your own & wait v pic one up next week with some flexibility on spec unless you get lucky with the right spec for you.

20 hours ago, MIkeyv60 said:

I presume you are talking about the cayman as the boxster wait time is less

Oops …yes I was

was in my local centre today getting a few bits for the 718 so asked about waiting times, 4 months ish for a boxster and 8 for a Cayman.  However Cayman will be back to 4 months toward the end of the year due to them building them at a different factory

i was surprised when shopping for my Cayman last week that there are some deals to be had, I looked at a few very highly specced ones, that were all 48 - 50 grand with build prices of 56 grand or so.  boxsters were still mainly about 3 grand cheaper to caymans, probably just due to the low numbers available, I imagine that will iron out when Cayman production ramps up tho. 

I ordered my Cayman S in December and it leaves the factory on July 12th. Long wait but as people have said, production is going to come back online properly. For me coming from a line of Boxsters I know the kinds of extras I like but it is personal preference. This is my spec in white.

Black leather interior
Deletion of model designation
Bi-Xenon headlights including Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS)
ParkAssist (front and rear)
Electrically folding exterior mirrors
Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM)
Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV) incl. mechanically locking rear differential
Sport Chrono Package including mode switch
20-inch Carrera S wheels
Wheels painted in Black (high-gloss) Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur
Automatically dimming mirrors with integrated rain sensor
Heated multifunction steering wheel
Sports seats Plus (2-way, electric)
Two-zone automatic climate control
Seat heating
Smoking package
Passenger footwell storage net
Porsche Crest embossed on headrests
BOSE® surround sound-system

1 hour ago, Mike Cad said:

I ordered my Cayman S in December and it leaves the factory on July 12th. Long wait but as people have said, production is going to come back online properly. For me coming from a line of Boxsters I know the kinds of extras I like but it is personal preference. This is my spec in white.

Black leather interior
Deletion of model designation
Bi-Xenon headlights including Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS)
ParkAssist (front and rear)
Electrically folding exterior mirrors
Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM)
Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV) incl. mechanically locking rear differential
Sport Chrono Package including mode switch
20-inch Carrera S wheels
Wheels painted in Black (high-gloss) Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur
Automatically dimming mirrors with integrated rain sensor
Heated multifunction steering wheel
Sports seats Plus (2-way, electric)
Two-zone automatic climate control
Seat heating
Smoking package
Passenger footwell storage net
Porsche Crest embossed on headrests
BOSE® surround sound-system

That sounds lovely mate, very nice spec 

the new lights with the 4 spot running light really make the car look superb and like an zonda from a distance 

36 minutes ago, Paulo123 said:

That sounds lovely mate, very nice spec 

the new lights with the 4 spot running light really make the car look superb and like an zonda from a distance 

I had a 718 behind me yesterday on the M4.  Love the look of the four spot lights - not seen them before in the flesh (so to speak).  

I couldn't justify the extra cost when I find the Xenons with PDLS fine for my needs. Because the car and extras had gone up in price, and a bunch of optional equipment was recently made standard, I found myself with an almost £3000 increase on what I was aiming for. 

Archived