EML on but running fine

Coupe100

Chaps, just after a bit of help if possible - on Sunday when I fired the car up to head back home from London, the EML light came on immediately after the engine fired.  The car is running faultlessly, isn't down on power, and doesn't seem to be using any more fuel, so I'm suspecting (or hoping) that it's just something simple like an o2 sensor.

Do any of you guys reside in the Lancashire area and have the relevant equipment to reliably read the codes at all?

If it's generic a obd2 code most simple and cheap code readers will read and clear the fault. I agree it's most likely a faulty O2 sensor.

I recently bought an EML327 compatible wifi obd2 adapter to read generic codes, links to my iPhone and did the trick.  Cost about £10 on Amazon so worth having one - works on most cars.

15 hours ago, Loz987 said:

Alternatively, if it was just a misfire. Start, drive, stop and restart the car ten times or so. It will go out of its own accord. 

Ah, that's interesting to hear @Loz987.  The return spring has gone in my ignition switch so I have to back it off myself - when I started the car, I backed it off a little too far but caught it before the engine stalled and it did pop/misfire for a moment before I revved it and that's when the light came on.  Sounds like a good excuse to go for a start/stop drive tomorrow to see if it'll go out.

@MrBen Thanks for the heads up on the EML327 - I was looking at them a few weeks ago, sounds like it's definitely worth buying one.  I'm on iOS also, out of interest which of the many apps have you found to be the best?

I use OBD Fusion for mine with an EML327 for the Apple operating system. Seems to work, currently telling me everything's ok so I've not had to use to reset EML light yet. I'm not too far away if you wanted to try one out.

Thanks everyone - just ordered an ELM327 unit on Amazon - will be delivered to my office tomorrow (gotta love Prime!) so I'll get it checked out if the EML doesn't go out today using the start/stop method.

I'm pleased to report that the codes were P0301, 0302, and 0303 - so misfire on cylinder 1, 2 and 3.  Cleared them, started the car and light didn't come back on.  Purposefully did what I accidentally did on Sunday when the light first came on, and indeed, same codes again.  Cleared once again and light stays off.

So, moral of the story is, replace that damn ignition switch soon!

On ‎24‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 0:49 PM, Coupe100 said:

@MrBen Thanks for the heads up on the EML327 - I was looking at them a few weeks ago, sounds like it's definitely worth buying one.  I'm on iOS also, out of interest which of the many apps have you found to be the best?

Sorry, I missed this the other day and sounds like you may have resolved anyway but I just used the free 'OBDCarDoctor' which was recommended with the adapter I bought (this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Car-Tools-Equipment/Pumpkin-Interface-Wireless-Diagnostic-Scanner/B011O69946/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1494856299&sr=8-6&keywords=obd2+iphone)

Doesn't do any Porsche specific stuff but will do the OBD standard stuff.  I looked at the Porsche specific ones but they are very considerably more expensive, so this will do for now.

@MrBen yeah that was the app recommended in the instructions for my adapter too.  All resolved anyway, but at least I now have the kit to read any codes as they pop up.  Will be useful for the Merc too.

On 25/06/2017 at 8:10 PM, Coupe100 said:

I'm pleased to report that the codes were P0301, 0302, and 0303 - so misfire on cylinder 1, 2 and 3.  Cleared them, started the car and light didn't come back on.  Purposefully did what I accidentally did on Sunday when the light first came on, and indeed, same codes again.  Cleared once again and light stays off.

So, moral of the story is, replace that damn ignition switch soon!

A sub moral is that things are sometimes so simple, even loz can diagnose the problem from his experience of limping along with Dodgy old boxsters. Or put another way...

Take a look at this video on YouTube:

Archived