Little rattle after changing gear

MakeTeaNotWar

So another week and another problem :(

I've noticed recently that when moving off into 1st and 2nd theres a slight rattle which after coming off the clutch doesnt reoccur.

I think its something that tends to happen while the cars cold, the clutch feels strong and I dont hear the noise above 2nd.

I've noticed the 1st and 2nd gear changes have been a bit clunky and loud lately, and initially after getting the car I found getting into 2nd could be a bit tricky but this seems to have eased of late.  While the cars got a full service history theres no service sheets confirming if and when the transmission fluid was changed (now 88k), as such I'm wondering if the smartest thing to do would be to drain and replace the transmission fluid before getting too worried about this.

Any thoughts?

The trans fluid should be done at something like 96k or 10 years. I doubt it will cure your rattle though. 

Has the car had a new clutch? Noise could be release bearing related but hard to tell from afar. 

Couldnt say as it was document light when I bought it (rookie mistake), the clutch feels strong though. I've just taken the car out again for a spin, whatever this is goes away after perhaps 100-200 meters of driving, it made quite a rattle at one point when I was going around the bend near my house at about 15 mph, I don't think I was on the clutch or accelerator at the time, so I'm starting to think it might just be something loose, but I can't think what as it's very strange the noise doesnt come back after the cars been in use for such a small space of time. 

Have a look at the heat shields on the catalytic converters. I've had a rattle on mine when cold that reduced/stopped when warmed up. I narrowed it down to a sleeve on the pipe near the lambda sensors on both banks. I've put jubilee clip around each one and it's stopped it completely. I'll take a view as to whether to remove the sleeves and wrap with heat proof wrap or replace the exhaust system with a sporty version but for the time being the noise has gone.

If the condition is as variable and intermittent as you later describe then it probably won't be the clutch or anything drive train related. The engine mount does wear and cause extra movement. That itself won't rattle but it might cause other things to rattle such as heatshields.

It could really be CAT shields or Transmission related. I had this sort of noise too, once we replaced clutch, IMS and CATs(both), the car has gone completely silent. :inocent:

On 31/07/2017 at 9:40 AM, ooid said:

It could really be CAT shields or Transmission related. I had this sort of noise too, once we replaced clutch, IMS and CATs(both), the car has gone completely silent. :inocent:

Di the bank manager get louder?

I still havent been able to take a look under the car yet, but started the car this morning and heard the rattle before i'd even touched the clutch or accelerator, sounds like its coming from near the NS rear wheel area, seems to happen more on gradients and turning at lower speeds, i wouldnt say the noise has gotten any worse thankfully.. will let everyone know what I find once I get chance to get under it but really hoping its a quick fix.

• 1 month later...

So a quick update in case anyone stumbles across this.

The noise was coming from the exhaust, while my car was in with Zentrum Porsche today (great guys) I asked them to take a look and they quickly discovered some loose heat shields but more importantly that two exhaust clamps had corroded beyond usefulness and needed to be replaced.

Hopefully this is the end of having to shamefully pull away with a horrible rattle! :)

Archived