Year 4 Major Service minefield...

martyn

I have started to get some OPC quotes in for its 4 year Major Service, plus plugs and brake fluid change. I am getting quotes from the nearest 6 centres with a view to a price match at my local centre. As they are coming in, 2 have added as an optional extra the drive belt check and rear flap removal/replace at 50 odd quid. Looking on their own websites the Polyrib belt check/adjustment is standard with the major service anyway, is there more than one belt?? I have emailed them back with this question and am awaiting replies.

Also one has listed "check air bag, trans/engine mounts check and front suspension mounts" at another 61 pounds?? Surely if necessary they should be in the service, no?

Some give a 10% PGB membership discounts on just parts others on parts and labour but slightly dearer start prices.

Because some are listing belt checking as extras, i have to remember to confirm with the winning bidder that they will do this as part of the service.

Oh and one more thing, 66 pounds extra for replacement tyre sealant as mine will have run out of date. (I wont bother, I have Porsche assist they can get me to the nearest tyre garage or home).

I will let you all know the final price which is acceptable and also whether i just have the service stamp and go to my local Indy for plugs and brake fluid change, especially if its going to save me 150 quid or so.

50 minutes ago, martyn said:

I have started to get some OPC quotes in for its 4 year Major Service, plus plugs and brake fluid change. I am getting quotes from the nearest 6 centres with a view to a price match at my local centre. As they are coming in, 2 have added as an optional extra the drive belt check and rear flap removal/replace at 50 odd quid. Looking on their own websites the Polyrib belt check/adjustment is standard with the major service anyway, is there more than one belt?? I have emailed them back with this question and am awaiting replies.

Also one has listed "check air bag, trans/engine mounts check and front suspension mounts" at another 61 pounds?? Surely if necessary they should be in the service, no?

Some give a 10% PGB membership discounts on just parts others on parts and labour but slightly dearer start prices.

Because some are listing belt checking as extras, i have to remember to confirm with the winning bidder that they will do this as part of the service.

Oh and one more thing, 66 pounds extra for replacement tyre sealant as mine will have run out of date. (I wont bother, I have Porsche assist they can get me to the nearest tyre garage or home).

I will let you all know the final price which is acceptable and also whether i just have the service stamp and go to my local Indy for plugs and brake fluid change, especially if its going to save me 150 quid or so.

They do seem a bit naughty in trying it on with the belt inspection/engine mount check as an extra. I suspect most don't push back on this and they get away with it. Either it needs doing periodically and should be in the service schedule under the price of the service, or it doesn't need doing. Particularly cheeky as it's a way of generating more revenue to replace items if they are worn. Do they not have a separate brake fluid stamp in the book for the 981?

I'm thinking the bill is going to be well north of £1k, best of luck?

I can almost guarantee that they will think of some more stuff to try and part you from even more money once they actually have the car. Absolutely the only reason to go to an OPC, for me would be to get the stamp in the book, and the only reason for that is if, in the future, I were to try to trade the car in I know they would pull their faces and tell me that I have made the car worthless.

I have no intention of selling my car but circumstances change and one doesn't know what the future will bring. I will be in the same position in six months time and am erring on the side of using a reputable independent like Revolution, however given their lack of response to my enquiry about some work on my 986 it seems that you can't always rely on even the good guys.

1 hour ago, Nobbie said:

They do seem a bit naughty in trying it on with the belt inspection/engine mount check as an extra. I suspect most don't push back on this and they get away with it. Either it needs doing periodically and should be in the service schedule under the price of the service, or it doesn't need doing. Particularly cheeky as it's a way of generating more revenue to replace items if they are worn. Do they not have a separate brake fluid stamp in the book for the 981?

No separate brake fluid change stamp / tick, so no way to even see it's been done unless you keep receipts. Don't suppose this work is stored in car electronically?

1 hour ago, Nobbie said:

Nobbie, Yes there is a separate brake fluid stamp in the service book, and the belt inspection is in the service schedule and I assume engine mounts also.

Update no. 1, had another quote in £630 for service, then same again checking the drive belt at another 60 odd quid, have emailed them back asking why if it's included in the service why are they quoting an extra price.. now I may be a cynic, but that's 3 OPCs who have mentioned this and I have not had as yet any answer to my question, superbly quick at getting a quote emailed to me but slow in this particular response, suspicious yes, hopefully it's just a coincidence but if i don't get an answer then it stinks as it's fraud pure and simple.

So far ironically, it's Colchester my local centre who are straight forward with the pricing and no mention about drive belt extras etc etc.

I will eventually list the centres and their quotes when the dust settles over the next few days.

I can see me contacting Porsche UK.....

1 minute ago, BarrySt said:

No separate brake fluid change stamp / tick, so no way to even see it's been done unless you keep receipts. Don't suppose this work is stored in car electronically?

Hi Barrie, check out your service book again, I have it in mine.

18 minutes ago, topradio said:

I can almost guarantee that they will think of some more stuff to try and part you from even more money once they actually have the car.

Top radio I don't mind that, that's business as long as it really needs doing, (saying that, anything other than the Service and possibly brake fluid and plugs would go to Autostrasse), but what if what I suspect is true that they are blatantly charging you twice for a service item is theft/fraud pure and simple.

3 minutes ago, martyn said:

Hi Barrie, check out your service book again, I have it in mine.

Yes, indeed it is there, thanks!

Only had the service + brake fluid done last week but didn't see the brake fluid stamp section (and I looked!)

Thanks again, Barry

1 minute ago, martyn said:

Top radio I don't mind that, that's business as long as it really needs doing, (saying that, anything other than the Service and possibly brake fluid and plugs would go to Autostrasse), but what if what I suspect is true that they are blatantly charging you twice for a service item is theft/fraud pure and simple.

What I didn't appreciate with my 2-year service quotes is that both OPCs I checked with quoted for the service but conveniently omitted to mention brake fluid change costs when it is required at 2-years. And both their charges for that were different when I enquired further.

You definitely need to be on the ball when booking a service as the OP'er clearly is.

Checked with (neutral) OPC at Exeter, only 1 drive/polyrib belt, on engine but it is a chargeable extra, concerned that it shows as part of the major service on websites!

Phone call immediately after from one of the quoting centres, she found it listed on her own website and asked me to provide a screen shot to her dealer principal tomorrow. I explained it's on every official web site under 981 major service.

Wife says 'trust you to spot that'.

13 minutes ago, jason3.2s said:

Bit of a journey to Exeter, might be easier to just take it to Colchester?

Any excuse eh, no but seriously wasn't at the time getting a straight forward answer from the quoting centres I had asked for more info re this belt issue, so phoned Exeter who wasn't quoting me, for a neutral answer. Could just as easily had phoned Edinburgh!

It seems that it is a misprint on all OPC websites!!

It was a bit a surprise to me the number of things not included in a major service. Not sure in the differences between the 997 and the 981 schedules but from memory the things I was expecting that were not included on the 987 came to the same or slight more than the service itself! 

If they are saying that they are following the Porsche seT menu servicing (not all do) then quite simply the belt is included as per the documentation on the website. @CMA went through this earlier in the year and I believe finally got them to include the belt check, also I believe he got the OPC to price match the plug change with an Indi. There's a thread somewhere from earlier in the year discussing this.

I had the same extras quoted by SIlverstone and the link here on Porsche's website shows the polyrib belt as part of a major FOR the £630

https://www.porsche.com/uk/accessoriesandservice/porscheservice/serviceandorgininalparts/servicepricing/

I have chosen to go to an Indie int he end with my 981 even though its still got 1 years of warranty left as I cant be doing with not being clear about what I am getting fro my money on top of paying much more for the privilege!

My overall price was £1200 whereas the Indie is circa £840 and that includes an extra £60 to check the belt which they told me doesnt actually need doing until 60000 miles (and not 40000 miles/4 years...

it seems to me that the OPC's are not checking the belt as part of the major (even though the website (link above) implies it is, as does the reference in their quote) and they are adding it as an extra 'add on' effectively doing it 2yrs/20k early??

I will also chose not to have new tyre gel at £60...its what I have Porsche Assistance for, plus I've read it ruins the tyre so effectively better to get recovered with the possibility of repairing a tyre than using the gel and sh*gg*ng it up!

5 minutes ago, Stuart21UK said:

I have chosen to go to an Indie int he end with my 981 even though its still got 1 years of warranty left as I cant be doing with not being clear about what I am getting fro my money on top of paying much more for the privilege!

Stuart, how does that affect your warranty?

57 minutes ago, topradio said:

Well I spoke to RPM Technik and they said it doesn't as they use genuine Porsche parts, they also said that if I wanted to extend the warranty in Sep 2018 then Porsche would insist on doing a full major service (plus presumably the 111 point check again) before allowing it to be extended for another 1/2 years...

I am pretty sure that the OPC had previously told me that as long as the car was serviced in accordance with Porsche recommendations (time/mileage), done to the correct standards and with Porsche parts then it would not affect it...

TBH like the OP, I cant be dealing with the not being clear about what I am getting (I shouldn't have to go back and forth to clarify things) for the 'premium' cost...I will almost certainly not renew the warranty in Sep 2018 and take the view, like you would, that money saved goes in a rainy day pot if something does go wrong. Also I kinda took the view that at around £1650 the warranty paid for itself when I had the exhaust replaced earlier in the year (circa £2000 bill to Porsche apparently)....

The only other thing I lose is Porsche stamps in the book and maybe goodwill of the OPC if something goes wrong, I had the seat belt replaced as a 'goodwill gesture' (which is BS as it should have been a warranty replacement anyway IMO) but if you remember they wouldn't do anything about the roof)...I have no intention of getting rid of the car come Sep 2018 as

a) I dont want a 718

b ) I would only like to switch to a 911 and more importantly

c) I dont have any spare lolly to do 'b', and do not believe it will necessarily be a an 'upgrade', the 981 being so good!

Apologies for the lengthy reply :)

Very comprehensive Stuart. I had assumed that, as the extended warranty was a Porsche product, they could impose any terms they liked with respect to how it's serviced.

Like you, I look at my 981 and think why would I need to change it especially as the new model hasn't been universally accepted as an improvement on the old one.

Fortunately I don't hanker after a 911. Unlike you I don't have a need for the kiddies seats in the back and its just more car than I need these days. If the 718 had been a real step up compared to the 981 and I could get it in a colour that I really liked I would have considered it but fortunately it isn't and I can't.

18 minutes ago, topradio said:

Very comprehensive Stuart. I had assumed that, as the extended warranty was a Porsche product, they could impose any terms they liked with respect to how it's serviced.

Like you, I look at my 981 and think why would I need to change it especially as the new model hasn't been universally accepted as an improvement on the old one.

Fortunately I don't hanker after a 911. Unlike you I don't have a need for the kiddies seats in the back and its just more car than I need these days. If the 718 had been a real step up compared to the 981 and I could get it in a colour that I really liked I would have considered it but fortunately it isn't and I can't.

I dont need the seats (if an 11 and 12 years old could actually use them!) in a 911 to get around anyway...I have the Cayenne for that and as

@Ringer250 will attest, it drives ok for a 3 litre diesel... I really am quite happy to take that somedays over the 981 :)

6 hours ago, Stuart21UK said:

I dont need the seats (if an 11 and 12 years old could actually use them!) in a 911 to get around anyway...I have the Cayenne for that and as

@Ringer250 will attest, it drives ok for a 3 litre diesel... I really am quite happy to take that somedays over the 981 :)

Agree with that, the Cayenne is very swift and handles superbly for its size.

On 06/09/2017 at 4:38 PM, topradio said:

I can almost guarantee that they will think of some more stuff to try and part you from even more money once they actually have the car. Absolutely the only reason to go to an OPC, for me would be to get the stamp in the book, and the only reason for that is if, in the future, I were to try to trade the car in I know they would pull their faces and tell me that I have made the car worthless.

I have no intention of selling my car but circumstances change and one doesn't know what the future will bring. I will be in the same position in six months time and am erring on the side of using a reputable independent like Revolution, however given their lack of response to my enquiry about some work on my 986 it seems that you can't always rely on even the good guys.

Hi.. if you'd like to call tomorrow we can sort it out. Not sure what's happened there.

Cheers

A few points to make here.

If the OPC Porsche sites list the major service and include items that you believe they will charge as an extra, or tell you the official service schedule is a mistake then provided you say you want the major service as listed on the published service schedule and can they give you a price - and they do - and you accept that is now a contract - Offer - Acceptance - for a consideration = price - they must now do the belt as part of the service because your contract was formed on the basis of your stipulation, not to do so is a breach of contract and if they fail to provide what they agreed initially you have a case under the unfair contract terms Act, breach of contract, frustration of contract and misrepresentation.

The 911 - its a fantastic car and in my opinion better screwed together than the Boxster, however, never driven the 981 and each to their own preference - and this is a Boxster site after all - so a bit of bias applies.

Revolution simply the best service anywhere, straightforward, honest and great prices, OPCs just don't deliver like these guys do, I don't have a Porsche anymore but I do have the Mk3 FocusRS - I don't trust Ford to service this but only because all the main dealers are morons and miss so much stuff, my Ford main dealer hasn't carried out any work without stuffing something up, so when this is due I will ask Russ and the guys to do it though we may have to sneak it in in after dark as a Ford would lower the tone - though I love the car. 

13 hours ago, Glyn said:

Revolution simply the best service anywhere, straightforward, honest and great prices, OPCs just don't deliver like these guys do, I don't have a Porsche anymore but I do have the Mk3 FocusRS - I don't trust Ford to service this but only because all the main dealers are morons and miss so much stuff, my Ford main dealer hasn't carried out any work without stuffing something up, so when this is due I will ask Russ and the guys to do it though we may have to sneak it in in after dark as a Ford would lower the tone - though I love the car. 

Thank you Glyn, of course we can look after your Focus RS - I have a couple of Ford enthusiasts here anyway! :-)

On 06/09/2017 at 10:04 PM, topradio said:

Porsche Guildford confirmed that I could use an indie and not invalidate the warrantee as long as they use genuine Porsche parts. 

When our 911 was due a belt check/replacement and OPC Leicester said they wanted to check it and charge extra for it, I said I had checked it (which I had) and it was fine, the service advisor then announced that they would check it for free....  It was ticked in the service book when it came back.

Archived