New 718

Jonny A

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

So 3 months in and reckon I’m settling into a long term relationship! Still not doing many miles but every one puts a smile on my face, whether pottering around enjoying the fresh air or pressing on a little. Observing speed limits of course! ?

The engine is definitely loosening up a little, a little gravelly on start up but once warm it’s an absolute peach and it matches the way I drive perfectly. The double clutch gearbox is outstanding and I doubt I could get anywhere near it for speed of change or smoothness. The manual option is fun but I’m letting it get on with it more and more. I must be getting old I guess. 

Other plus sides, it’s comfortable on standard suspension with 20” wheels, the seats fit me well and the driving position is spot on, the boots are big enough for most things even my sons new air rifle. My wife won’t drive it, likes her LR Disco, can I call that a plus? Still love the colour and can’t help but take an extra peak, I even pop out to the garage to say hello when I’ve been away, nothing to do with the beer being kept out there of course! 

Negatives, the lack of storage is bugging me especially all the blank switches that aren’t used even if you have every extra. The PCM is, at best, average and nowhere near as good as my previous cars, a Merc. It doesn’t bother me too much as I don’t really use it much but for a 58k car surely they could do better? The Pirelli pzero tyres are okay but nothing special, it’ll be a while before I need to change but will probably look at alternatives. 

In other news bought a new Toyota Aygo as a station car and to use when my son starts driving next year fun little thing but couldn’t pull the skin off a rice pudding. Best thing is that I don’t care!

Oh and averaging about 25mpg, which feels about right. 

• 2 months later...

Well my very pampered “Garage Queen” has now passed the 1k miles mark and the engine is definitely bedding down nicely. No longer quite so rough when I start up and when warm settles into a nice burble that brings an increasingly big grin to my face as I extend it, up to 70 of course. 

Now that I’m really prepared to rev it I have to say it’s truly quick and can upset some very exotic machinery on the lanes near my home, although I ignore the hot hatch brigade as that can get embarrassing as some of the new ones are pretty impressive and I’d need to be on my game to match some of them!  Let’s be honest a well driven one would have me reaching for the “pose” button  

Fair to say still loving it and can’t wait for spring.  

I’m slightly embarrassed! As I passed the 1k mark my mpg has improved markedly, I’ve gone from 25mpg to 29 mpg. Same route so the difference must be me? When does the urge to buy a tartan rug and trilby arrive? I may have to buy a beige rover 400 to fit my new restrained image. 

Help. 

• 4 months later...

Okay almost 2500 miles in my Boxster and I’m finally getting to grips with the paddles. I love the increased level of involvement and I’m becoming addicted to the challenge of picking the right line, gear and balance around a few quieter local roads. Whilst concentrating however it’s important not to stray into “naughty” territory. These cars are almost too fast to be fun, almost!  

In other news “Sally” is a dirty girl and needs a good wash and polish so that’s on the list for the weekend, quickly followed by my daughters cars as they will probably turn up coincidentally!  

Oh look it’s beer o clock, must go!  

Archived