New 718

Jonny A

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On 01/10/2017 at 2:32 PM, basaltbox said:

this has been a good read

I have a 13 year old 986s and am thinking of getting a 718s. i'd plan to keep for 10 years so it will have to feel and sound good in my upcoming test drive.

I remember when i bought by 986 all those years ago and being surprised about how many people were criticising the current model back then - i see nothing has changed and the 718 is getting it now due the 4 cylinders. Still its good to know owners seem to like the car.

Is there any facelift or minor upgrade expected in the next year? if there is I may wait.

How'd the test drive go? 

So 4 weeks and 2 washes later the love affair deepens! 

Just a quick wash today, still took a couple of hours but she does look good when clean! Made the mistake of cleaning my 2 daughters cars as well, both white and I'd forgotten how hard it is to clean them, especially as they aren't exactly spoiled by the girls. Oh well 5 hours cleaning cars and my Apple Watch still says I haven't met my daily target. 

Back to the car then. 

Still enjoying the drive and the performance is pretty astounding but I'm also starting to get to grips with how well it goes round corners. Coming out of a big old merc means it's taking time to make the adjustment, I'm probably at no more than 60% at the moment so hopefully we'll have some kind weather while I play. It's probably not entirely fair to judge but it feels very well planted even compared to my old 986, which I'd previously have regarded as the best handling car I'd driven. 

Things I don't like - 

Have to confess that whilst PCM is okay it's not as intuitive as the merc comand system although that could be due to me being a long term merc driver. Just as well that I don't really need the phone or sat nav much so it's no great loss.  

The parking brake, similar to the mercs and just as cumbersome. I'd personally prefer a button like my wife's Evoque after all it's a PDK so an on/off parking brake is fine. 

Storage is poor as expected but somewhere to put the phone and glasses would be great. As would a little tray to put parking tickets as I seem to build up quite a collection when parking at the train station. 

Things I like- 

Everything else! Especially the noise it makes, there's an angry little burble when I'm pottering and a really naughty growl when I press on. 

Its fair to say that I'm enjoying it more each time I drive it and everyone who's been in the passenger seat has either smiled or made that "you have to be kidding" face! 

2 hours ago, Jonny A said:

How'd the test drive go? 

went very well - it's an awesome machine. Super super quick compared to the 986 and all those old 981's :-)

sound is different but not, 'wrong' different, just different. After 30 mins i was getting used to it and the 986 sounded different when i got back in it, not 'right' different, just different.

20's on comfort was a softer ride than the 986, whereas on sport was harder.

overall it feels like a huge step forward

Sounds like we had a similar experience. I have standard suspension on 20s and the ride is fine, just firm enough to hint at what it's about without loosening any fillings. Personally I love it. 

I didn't bother with pasm mainly to try and manage the ultimate cost given that I won't track the car.  

First world decisions!  

14 minutes ago, basaltbox said:

A few more considerations now the gts has arrived !

with similar spec to the S I was considering it adds about £5k

Not a massive increment. And if the residual difference ends up anything like the 981S to GTS then £5K has to be worth it - let alone for the slight GTS power increase and other tweaks?

Agree, although I balked at the increment to the S! If I’d stretched then I’d definitely I’d have gone for the GTS. 

On 20/10/2017 at 7:41 AM, rowbos said:

Not a massive increment. And if the residual difference ends up anything like the 981S to GTS then £5K has to be worth it - let alone for the slight GTS power increase and other tweaks?

Yes I think it will be the GTS for me at approx £71k

Mines not exactly a poverty spec but it makes me smile when I see how many buttons are blanks. I reckon it’s psychology to make us think we were careful in our specs and there was lots we didn’t choose. I’m off out in a minute so will have to try my force field! ??

6 hours ago, Jonny A said:

Mines not exactly a poverty spec but it makes me smile when I see how many buttons are blanks. I reckon it’s psychology to make us think we were careful in our specs and there was lots we didn’t choose. I’m off out in a minute so will have to try my force field! ??

You could never fill them all anyway, , sport and sport plus moved to steering column and then there is PSE , if you like your switches filled just look in a Macan

Amazing that Porsche haven’t found a way to charge us for something! Maybe we could come up with some ideas for extras they could develop? 

“Swear button” for those “moments”

Screen shot button to “prove” I wasn’t speeding officer. 

Inflatable passenger button for car pool lanes. Obviously need another button to deflate the passenger, not to be used when there’s a real passenger on board! 

Receipt copy button, copies and sends parking and petrol receipts directly to my assistant. 

“Oh dear” button, used when parked in a hedge. 

Any other ideas? 

is anyone driving a 718 Boxster with PSE. I'm hearing even if it's switched off, as long as it's installed, it sounds different than without it and i'm wanting to know what it's like at normal motorway cruising speeds - if its a bit of a noisy drone when cruising then it will put me off getting the GTS, and i'll probably go for the S without PSE.

The best thing is try it for yourself to be honest as you may find it ok whereas others like myself didn't like it. I tried both cars and if in Sport mode on non pse yes the note changes deeper and also pops, but this is the same if pse turned off. With pse on i did find it drony and didn't enjoy the sound.I chose not to spec it. On my PED i tried the 2 cars again and to be honest i couldn't tell the difference on short runs.Do not expect it to sound like a 981 does with pse because it doesn't.

Agree with Mikey, I didn’t spec it and found the standard set up okay but the PSE a bit noisy but not in a good way. Personal choice though and sound is such a subjective topic, as you can tell from the ongoing debate about FT4 and F6. Its a big investment so worth the time to try both set ups and choose the one that suits you best. 

Either way enjoy!!  I haven’t stopped smiling. 

Good advice, definitely try one for yourself!

I learned the hard way with our new M140i, fitted a sports exhaust before delivery and hated it from day one, droned like hell, after two months of trying to get used to it I eventually removed it.

Lesson learned!

Archived