New 718

Jonny A

So week 1 with my new Boxster 718 and absolutely loving it. Going to take it easy for the first 1000 miles so haven't really opened her up yet, although my wife was unimpressed when I gave it a little boot just to show her what it's got. 

Initial impressions back up all my conclusions from various test drives and the PEC day.

Incredibly comfortable even on 20" wheels and standard suspension, amazing how flat it corners but doesn't struggle with some of the crumbling roads around here. The engine is a delight and I'm loving the bark when the revs rise, albeit not beyond 4K yet. Actually quite quiet and refined, a huge improvement on my old 986 and I can very easily imagine doing a reasonable distance without problem. 

The seats are superb and I'm a bit on the large side! The power adjustment is almost too complex and it's taking a while to nail my final driving position. Thank goodness for the memory settings.

Plenty of room for 2 of course but storage for glasses and phones etc is pretty woeful. Of course I knew that but given the number of blank switches on the centre consul a bit of extra storage would be possible I think. Minor moan really. 

One thing that I've noticed that I certainly didn't come across in any test drive is that I drive quite differently with the roof down, especially with the sun out. I'm more relaxed and happy to cruise along just enjoying the experience. That's not to say I'm not moving reasonably quickly but just more chilled. I was very aware when the sun disappeared and I put the roof up,  all of a sudden there's just me and the car. I find myself concentrating just a little harder, hitting corners a bit more precisely and generally being more involved. On reflection I enjoyed both experiences, like having 2 cars in 1. Am I imagining it?

Finally I'm very happy with the colour and spec I chose.  The colour especially is stunnng, can't stop taking a sneaky peak, most definitely has the ability to make me take one last look even when I put it in the garage for the night. So for now one very happy owner looking forward to some fun miles ahead. 

FullSizeRender.jpg

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another for the Sapphire club! Congratulations I know exactly what you mean. Mine has 7k on it now and they do loosen up a bit. The sports setting makes the exhaust backfire a bit which is a delight with the roof down.

I agree on the storage space - there is an armrest phone space, but I always got out and forgot to take the phone with me. I bought a holder that attaches onto one of the air vents which works well. My other niggles revolve around the auto hold function (mines a manual) which is just silly, and the auto dimming mirrors which have a section around the perimeter that doesn't dim. Minor niggles.

There's a fairly good app called 'Porsche Good to Know' available for iPhones which is a US based electronic manual basically. Pretty handy.

Health to enjoy your new car! My old and new last November.

IMG_8769.thumb.JPG.e4727eaeb9d43be188cbe5ad719d20e4.JPG

1 hour ago, Happy Days said:

Another for the Sapphire club! Congratulations I know exactly what you mean. Mine has 7k on it now and they do loosen up a bit. The sports setting makes the exhaust backfire a bit which is a delight with the roof down.

I agree on the storage space - there is an armrest phone space, but I always got out and forgot to take the phone with me. I bought a holder that attaches onto one of the air vents which works well. My other niggles revolve around the auto hold function (mines a manual) which is just silly, and the auto dimming mirrors which have a section around the perimeter that doesn't dim. Minor niggles.

There's a fairly good app called 'Porsche Good to Know' available for iPhones which is a US based electronic manual basically. Pretty handy.

Health to enjoy your new car! My old and new last November.

IMG_8769.thumb.JPG.e4727eaeb9d43be188cbe5ad719d20e4.JPG

What are your issues with the auto hold? I think its ok , i didnt like the stop start but was shown a different way to use it so seems much better

I have a manual transmission and it doesn't work the same way as our Macan which has PDK. In the PDK cars, you come to a stop, give the brake pedal a firm shove and auto hold engages. Simple and works 100% every time.

In the manual 718, auto hold ONLY engages when the car is facing uphill on a slope that is greater than 5%. That's quite a gradient! You CANNOT manually engage it like you can in the PDK cars which is to me a total nonsense. Our last VW had auto hold with a manual gearbox which worked the same way as the PDK equipped cars.

You can however fumble about under the dash to engage the parking brake, which works  - to a point. There's always a slight lurch backwards as the transition from footbrake to e-brake engages when you release the pressure on the brake pedal. Then when driving off, although it self releases (only if you have the seat belt on, though) it really isn't smooth at all. TBH, it spoils the driving pleasure somewhat in town. And I'm firmly in the camp that a sports car should be manual. We drive the Macan in auto 100% of the time.

I don't mind the stop/start at all which works well.

9 minutes ago, Happy Days said:

I have a manual transmission and it doesn't work the same way as our Macan which has PDK. In the PDK cars, you come to a stop, give the brake pedal a firm shove and auto hold engages. Simple and works 100% every time.

In the manual 718, auto hold ONLY engages when the car is facing uphill on a slope that is greater than 5%. That's quite a gradient! You CANNOT manually engage it like you can in the PDK cars which is to me a total nonsense. Our last VW had auto hold with a manual gearbox which worked the same way as the PDK equipped cars.

You can however fumble about under the dash to engage the parking brake, which works  - to a point. There's always a slight lurch backwards as the transition from footbrake to e-brake engages when you release the pressure on the brake pedal. Then when driving off, although it self releases (only if you have the seat belt on, though) it really isn't smooth at all. TBH, it spoils the driving pleasure somewhat in town. And I'm firmly in the camp that a sports car should be manual. We drive the Macan in auto 100% of the time.

I don't mind the stop/start at all which works well.

ahh ok i understand.

How odd, glad I went for a PDK now as that would drive me mad. The purist in me agrees re a manual gearbox but the lazy fat bloke in me won the argument!  

Congratulations, car looks great in that colour. I kinda get what you mean about being chilled with the roof down, except if you're on a BoXa meet and cruise, that is ???

A note saying "IOU two cylinders" ;) :D 

As above, lovely colour. For the seat setup, I think there's a technique to it, like sort the seat base first, then fuss with the back.... fancy seats aren't new so there should be hints online how to do it, not only from Porsche.

IOU 2 cylinders!  Lmao. 

In all seriousness I'm very happy with it and even like the sound. 

Think I'm getting there with the seats and I'll probably always fiddle a little. 

Mikey I've picked it up and got the usual flowers, model car and a set of expresso cups. Not expecting anything else. Should I be? 

10 minutes ago, Jonny A said:

IOU 2 cylinders!  Lmao. 

In all seriousness I'm very happy with it and even like the sound. 

Think I'm getting there with the seats and I'll probably always fiddle a little. 

Mikey I've picked it up and got the usual flowers, model car and a set of expresso cups. Not expecting anything else. Should I be? 

Yep sound is pretty good and yes in a few months a nice little package will arrive from Porsche, my lips are sealed and ps enjoy the car its fab :D

I'm not going to spoil the surprise either, but mine remains, how shall I put this....unused!

I got a nice bottle of wine from the Porsche vineyards and the usual flowers, wife got a rather tasty Martini Racing umbrella and a boot liner for McCann.

Archived