New 718

Jonny A

Pleased I didn't spec it now, that doesn't sound good and little things like that can really offend my OCD! 

Hope you get it sorted without any fuss. 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So end of week 2 and I can honestly say I haven't grinned this much in years, I'm even taking sneaky rides for no reason! I was away this week on business and couldn't wait to get home and let "Sally" out of the garage. (My kids named her after the blue Porsche in Cars). I'm going to have to get a trickle charger I think!  Any recommendations? 

Ongoing impressions are still very favourable of course and taking Mikey's advice about letting the oil warm through I've been able to open her up a few times, carefully of course?.

I think I've nailed the PCM etc, including Apple car play although really won't use it much. All seems to work okay, no complaints aside from the voice control that just doesn't understand me at all. It must be true, I talk b*ll*cks all the time. ?

One thing I think I'll turn off is the stop / start. Drives me nuts and much prefer it in sport when it's off. Now I know you'll all tell me to leave it in sport all the time but I like the contrast. I'm also tight fisted enough to want to use both modes, after all I paid for both!  

Frankly if that's my only moan then I really can't complain. 

So to the tricky topic of the F4 engine noise. I love it, no reservations at all. Suitably refined when I'm just cruising along but really quite naughty when I'm pressing on. Neither better nor worse than the F6, different but equally engaging. 

Plans for the next week will be to give it a good clean and in doing so decide whether it needs a professional preparation. I'm not convinced at the moment but want to get up close and personal with the paintwork before committing. 

Certainly hope there's a BoXa meet somewhere in the Midlands over the next couple of months, would love to meet some like minded owners and drool over your cars, hoping that you'll feel the same about mine.  ?

Looking good.  You must be over the moon ?

I hate stop start on my Merc.  First thing I do is switch it off after I start the engine. 

I personally use a CTEK MXS-5 charger for my Boxster as discussed in another running thread on here at the moment.  Does the job, seems to be well designed and gets decent reviews.  

this has been a good read

I have a 13 year old 986s and am thinking of getting a 718s. i'd plan to keep for 10 years so it will have to feel and sound good in my upcoming test drive.

I remember when i bought by 986 all those years ago and being surprised about how many people were criticising the current model back then - i see nothing has changed and the 718 is getting it now due the 4 cylinders. Still its good to know owners seem to like the car.

Is there any facelift or minor upgrade expected in the next year? if there is I may wait.

1 hour ago, basaltbox said:

I remember when i bought by 986 all those years ago and being surprised about how many people were criticising the current model back then - i see nothing has changed and the 718 is getting it now due the 4 cylinders.

I think things have changed, I'm not sure if many criticised the 987.1, 987.2 or 981 as much as this. The only real complaint consistently is that it has been throttled by Porsche to keep power well under the 911 range - and the 981 Spyder with its 380bhp nearly addressed that.

I don’t think the 718 has been throttled back. I specced a 911 Carrera cabriolet on the Confuserator out of curiosity, and with an identical spec to my 718S it cost an additional 43%. More to the point, the 0-60 time with Sport Chrono and PDK is identical, though the 911 is apparently 3mph faster.  You don’t half pay for 2 more cylinders, useless rear seats and inferior handling!  Whilst the move to the F4T might well be driven to some extent by emissions, I think the real drive has come from the marketing department needing to create some distance between the two models.

Think you need to drive the latest 911 Carrera if you havent as the car feel and drive is completely different to the Boxster.

The 911 felt solid to drive and effortless compared to the 981S i own and the numerous 718's I have driven.

4 hours ago, basaltbox said:

this has been a good read

I have a 13 year old 986s and am thinking of getting a 718s. i'd plan to keep for 10 years so it will have to feel and sound good in my upcoming test drive.

I remember when i bought by 986 all those years ago and being surprised about how many people were criticising the current model back then - i see nothing has changed and the 718 is getting it now due the 4 cylinders. Still its good to know owners seem to like the car.

Is there any facelift or minor upgrade expected in the next year? if there is I may wait.

Aside from the planned GTS  I'm not aware of any changes due, although I'm hardly in a position to know more than some of the more investigative members on here. 

I loved my 986 and certainly wouldn't criticise anyone who still runs one, or 987/981 for that matter. As in all things it's a matter of personal choice. I'm loving the 718 and haven't stopped smiling, even felt guilty leaving it at the station for a couple of days. I have an Aygo on order as a station car and to teach my teenage son to drive but frankly I have no worries about the Boxster as a daily driver. 

I hope you enjoy making the decision whether to change or not, personally I love the process of trying, speccing and ordering a new car. I like paying for it a little less!  Whatever you decide enjoy the process at least. 

As for the never ending debate about it being an F4T as opposed to an F6, each to his own but in my view it's neither inferior nor lacking. (Stands back for the inevitable barrage of comment, which just proves the point that we all differ in how we view or perceive things) 

1 hour ago, jason3.2s said:

Think you need to drive the latest 911 Carrera if you havent as the car feel and drive is completely different to the Boxster.

The 911 felt solid to drive and effortless compared to the 981S i own and the numerous 718's I have driven.

Agree entirely and a 911 was a serious option but frankly I couldn't reconcile the additional cost for 2 extra seats that even my 13 year old struggled with. However in a couple of years man maths may just come in to play and I'll no doubt be looking at the 911 again, whether I scratch that itch remains to be seen!  

6 hours ago, Jonny A said:

Aside from the planned GTS  I'm not aware of any changes due, although I'm hardly in a position to know more than some of the more investigative members on here. 

I loved my 986 and certainly wouldn't criticise anyone who still runs one, or 987/981 for that matter. As in all things it's a matter of personal choice. I'm loving the 718 and haven't stopped smiling, even felt guilty leaving it at the station for a couple of days. I have an Aygo on order as a station car and to teach my teenage son to drive but frankly I have no worries about the Boxster as a daily driver. 

I hope you enjoy making the decision whether to change or not, personally I love the process of trying, speccing and ordering a new car. I like paying for it a little less!  Whatever you decide enjoy the process at least. 

As for the never ending debate about it being an F4T as opposed to an F6, each to his own but in my view it's neither inferior nor lacking. (Stands back for the inevitable barrage of comment, which just proves the point that we all differ in how we view or perceive things) 

Very helpful, thanks.

Test drive on the 14th. Can't wait and bet it sounds better than my 986 6. 

I can't see a facelift this side of 2020. It was just launched last year, the last generation Cayenne and Panny lasted longer than a couple of years before being updated. My guess is a 2019 announcement with 2020 deliveries. The Macan and 911 are due to be facelifted first.

So that's the 4 week point reached and still smiling like a 10 year old in a sweet shop. It's starting to loosen up a little and the performance is truly astonishing and it's able to mix with some seriously quick cars without feeling out of its depth. 

The colour seems to be getting a thumbs up from anyone interested and after a procession of black and silver cars in recent years it makes a nice change and suits the car tremendously well. 

Like Mikey I added a few "extras" with my son,  a bit of fun that I'll remove at some point. Also have a few left and tempted to add one quietly to the boss' car to see if she notices? 

IMG_0897

One thing I've learned is not to use the windscreen wash with the roof down unless I fancy a quick shower! Now I was pressing on a bit so probably didn't help but can't remember this being an issue in any previous convertibles except an old Lancia Beta Spider. In all honesty using the windscreen wash in that just hurried the next rust patch anyway. Lovely car but fragile, oh so fragile. 

I saw another thread on MPG and thought I'd check mine, pretty much bang on 27 so about where I'd expect. Frankly not bothered but interesting to see where it goes from here. Probably won't move much, any improvement as it loosens will be lost as I'll be able to press on a little more. Anyway we'll all be driving scalextrix cars in a few years so what will we obsess about then? Range or the differing noise between power units? (Couldn't resist that last one) 

Oh and I found out where Porsche put the extra 2 cylinders! They're in the drawer with the missing torque from the F6! Just kidding but as Meno thinks I'm owed a couple..................?

7 hours ago, Jonny A said:

I saw another thread on MPG and thought I'd check mine, pretty much bang on 27 so about where I'd expect. Frankly not bothered but interesting to see where it goes from here. Probably won't move much, any improvement as it loosens will be lost as I'll be able to press on a little more. Anyway we'll all be driving scalextrix cars in a few years so what will we obsess about then? Range or the differing noise between power units? (Couldn't resist that last one) 

Oh and I found out where Porsche put the extra 2 cylinders! They're in the drawer with the missing torque from the F6! Just kidding but as Meno thinks I'm owed a couple..................?

27 mpg is good, my 981 started at about 22 mpg and gradually has risen to about 24.6 mpg long term (over a long measured period)

On 08/10/2017 at 3:53 PM, Jonny A said:

So that's the 4 week point reached and still smiling like a 10 year old in a sweet shop. It's starting to loosen up a little and the performance is truly astonishing and it's able to mix with some seriously quick cars without feeling out of its depth. 

The colour seems to be getting a thumbs up from anyone interested and after a procession of black and silver cars in recent years it makes a nice change and suits the car tremendously well. 

Like Mikey I added a few "extras" with my son,  a bit of fun that I'll remove at some point. Also have a few left and tempted to add one quietly to the boss' car to see if she notices? 

IMG_0897

One thing I've learned is not to use the windscreen wash with the roof down unless I fancy a quick shower! Now I was pressing on a bit so probably didn't help but can't remember this being an issue in any previous convertibles except an old Lancia Beta Spider. In all honesty using the windscreen wash in that just hurried the next rust patch anyway. Lovely car but fragile, oh so fragile. 

How did you make up the stickers if you don't mind me asking?

Archived