Winter is coming!

JohnnyUK

As it will be my first winter with the Boxster i hadn't even thought about this but i'll 'invest' in some of these just in  case.  Hoping we get some decent dry sunny days nevertheless so the car doesn't have to be laid up the whole time.

I got one of those microwaveable de-humidifier bags from Tesco. When the colour indicator shows full of moisture just pop them in for a few minutes. I leave it permanently behind the passenger seat and never have any condensation problems

They can often mist up even after a run with the windows open. Mine is not wet or damp but I was using salt to trap moisture most of last winter, whilst it did absorb I collected the silica gel pack on the shop trip today!  

16 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

I found the bag types didn't do much at all, but the 151 dehumidifier box type work really well.

Which reminds me I need to buy some :)

I make sure I properly remove any absorbed moisture by baking the beads in the oven following the instructions.   Microwaving them only partially works apparently.  

I never have condensation. 

15 minutes ago, rowbos said:

I make sure I properly remove any absorbed moisture by baking the beads in the oven following the instructions.   Microwaving them only partially works apparently.  

I never have condensation. 

I put the beads on a baking tray in the oven as per instructions, but the problem is they just don't soak up any moisture in the first place in my experience.

The 151 types are full in 6 to 8 weeks or so in the winter time, and I just replace them. They are only a couple of quid or so each.

Good topic. i noticed some condensation inside my car this morning and used to use something like these in my old TVR when that lived outside with very good results. http://seaflo-uk.com/rechargeable-moisture-absorbing-dehumidifier-twin-pack-portable-caravan-288-p.asp

i have ordered a pair of them and will see if they are as good as the ones from a few years ago. The reviews are mixed but people seem to be putting them in bathrooms now rather than cars or caravans, so time will tell. 

4 hours ago, PaulQ said:

I put the beads on a baking tray in the oven as per instructions, but the problem is they just don't soak up any moisture in the first place in my experience.

The 151 types are full in 6 to 8 weeks or so in the winter time, and I just replace them. They are only a couple of quid or so each.

Fair enough.  I know mine change colour after a time and I then heat them up to purge the moisture.  It’s hard to know what they have actually absorbed but I just know I don’t get any condensation at all.

19 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

Weigh them :)

Yeah I know ?

It was one one of those can’t be bothered I’m sure they are working approaches!

Maybe I will do a before and after.  Particularly as I can’t use the car at the moment.  I will report back ?

3 minutes ago, usman10316 said:

so out of a consensus which is the best thing to buy? 

Good question ?

I’m happy that I don’t get any condensation at all but have not scientifically tested the extraction properties of the bags yet...?

And at the risk of stating the obvious :) - use your air conditioning if you have it. I've heard/seen quite a few people over the years say something along the lines of 'I didn't get air conditioning because I always have the roof down when it's hot' - so presumably some people don't realise that aircon is at least as useful in the winter because it dries the air as well as cooling/warming it, so it does a great job of clearing condensation.

Not a complete solution of course if you leave your car standing for long periods in the winter, have blocked drains, TVR/MG-style gaps in your hood/window seals etc :D but just thought I'd mention it.

8 hours ago, usman10316 said:

so out of a consensus which is the best thing to buy? 

If you look on Amazon there are loads of different types, and all will have good and bad reviews im afraid.

Its just a case of trying them out, and finding something that suits/works for you :)

If your car is garaged, and/or you use it every day, then you probably wont need anything.

Mines lives outside, and often doesn't get used for two or three weeks or so at a time in the winter months.

13 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

If you look on Amazon there are loads of different types, and all will have good and bad reviews im afraid.

Its just a case of trying them out, and finding something that suits/works for you :)

If your car is garaged, and/or you use it every day, then you probably wont need anything.

Mines lives outside, and often doesn't get used for two or three weeks or so at a time in the winter months.

Mine is always kept in the garage. In the winter months, I don't know if I will be using it daily though. Will see. I guess the only thing it will help me with is demisting when coming back to the car. My 924 was a bit of a pain to wait for it to demist. 

Archived