Can I use ATF rather than Pentosin for the power steering?

happyhippydad

Hello all..

Having just bought the Boxster I thought I would check all the fluid levels. They were all ok apart from the power steering fluid. The manual says to use Pentosin CHF 11 S. I have some ATF-Q3 and wanted to know if I could use this? Will it damage the vehicle? Will it decrease power steering somehow? Will it be safe and have no discernable effect?

Cheers:)

Thanks Paul. I literally just logged back on to ask that question:D

Of course now I'm thinking how do I know what is already in there? If it's ATF would it be a problem putting Pentosin in? But again, how do I know? Should I just flush the whole system and start again?

CHF11S should be a light/bright green colour.

Seems unlikely to me that someone would go to the trouble of replacing the fluid, and not using the correct stuff.

If your going to top it off, then just buy some from Opie Oils.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-87380-pentosin-chf-11s-hydraulic-fluid.aspx

Yes I know its expensive when you are  probably only going to use a tablespoon of the stuff, but you will never run out :)

19 minutes ago, happyhippydad said:

Thanks for the offer Paul! I have just bought the Pentosin.

No worries. Thats you sorted for a lifetime then :)

19 minutes ago, happyhippydad said:

I guess if going to go to the expense of buying a Porsche I should really put the right stuff in!

I'm all for saving money on parts etc where you can, as these cars can cost alot to run at the best of times, but there are some things where its just not worth the potential hassle or consequences.

I put non Porsche approved PAS fluid in about 18 months ago.  the only issue was Revolution making it an advisory on my last service :lol:

I'd have bought the correct stuff, if I hadn't any already in the shed at the time.....

Archived