Broken cable under rear end of roof

Muddy

Hi all, just giving my 2004 a good clean for its service and noticed a snapped cable on drivers side under the rear end of roof when had roof half down. The cable has black cover with metal wires inner. The one on other side is good and attached to roof guess it's part of the roof mechanism. The roof works perfect and closes strong and tight. May have been like it all summer. Worth fixing or fine as is.

cheers muddy

Sounds like the tension rope. It keeps the roof taught when raised and the bottom of the top below the clam shell. Mine didn’t have any when I got it and it was only when I was parked next to another Boxster that I noticed my hood sitting higher at the back. So I started looking underneath with a parts diagram and noticed the ropes missing. They are cheap enough to buy, I got secondhand ones from Douglas Valley Breakers  I think new ones are about £20 each. I would say mine looks better with them.

Very easy, they just push on. One end has a little circlip which I attached to the car end, the other end doesn’t have a clip. You need to pop the hood end off when you when you put the top in the service position to access the top of the engine so they are designed to pop off easily. 

16 minutes ago, Topbox said:

@Muddy yes easy, I did mine so it must be.  Check out @Gutley recent posts as he did a little how to on the tension ropes complete with photos. Good luck.

Here:

http://www.BoXa.net/forum/topic/74871-how-to-replace-a-986-tension-rope/

Thanks all its so refreshing to get free honest advice without the thought of being ripped off. BoXa net keeps me hanging on to my boxster as l know there is great honest fellow owners out there helping to keep these unique cars on the road.

cheers muddy

Archived