How to Replace a 986 Tension Rope

Gutley

Recently I've noticed a new rattle behind the driver's ear, so today I had a nose around and discovered that the tension rope on the driver's side had snapped:

IMG_1116

and left the other end of the ball joint still attached to the clamshell:

IMG_1116

I headed off to OPC Tonbridge to pick up a replacement part (986.561.191.02 - £27.44 after PCGB discount)

Having previously had to undo the other end multiple times to raise the rear of the roof, I had assumed that it would be just as easy to twist this top joint off.

But after some over-hard attempts and with the bracket starting to bend I figured I was missing something. At the size of the above photo, its pretty obvious, but in the fading light of dusk and less than perfect eyesight at close range I missed it. 

IMG_1116

Yeah, there is a clip that runs around the base of the ball section. It needs unhooking and then pulling down. After this the joint twists off as easily as the other end. Here is a close up of where the clip feeds into the joint:

IMG_1116

After unhooking you pull it down and out to unlock the joint.

When replacing the tensioner you have to keep the little metal clip from the old one as it isn't included with the replacement.

Only one end of the tensioner has the holes for the clip and its that end that attaches to the clamshell.

Hope that helps someone else avoid applying too much force to the joint in future.

• 5 weeks later...

strange - did the drivers side on Molly a few weeks ago.  it popped straight on and off without any tools or effort.

I've thrown the old part in the bin.  I'll check when I get home , but I'm sure there wasn't any locking mechanism

5 hours ago, Patt said:

strange - did the drivers side on Molly a few weeks ago.  it popped straight on and off without any tools or effort.

I've thrown the old part in the bin.  I'll check when I get home , but I'm sure there wasn't any locking mechanism

Maybe it had previously been replaced and the clip was not kept. Look for a hole going through the dome section. 

5 hours ago, mike597 said:

Yes mine pre face-lift, 2000 registered but built in 99

It would appear it is the facelift cars that have clips on the top socket, to state the obvious. 

Archived