Friendly advice for 2000+ Porsche Boxster S owners

petemac

After some issues with erratic engine hesitation and idle issues, loss of power, I started to look at what may have been the cause, so I started with the basics, coils, plugs, maf sensor, vac leaks, you name it I looked at it!!  and I hope I have now solved the problem. During my search for said issue I also bought a new TPS which I didn't need because my car is E-Gas "not throttle cable"  though I was told the TPS could be the culprit. So for the complete novices who intend to do their own maintenance if you don't see a "throttle cable" don't fork out for a THROTLE POSITION SENSOR you aint gonna need one (Porsche changed things in the year 2000 onwards that's the reason)

As you can tell I am still a newbee even after 2 years. So my advice to newbees in particular is"don't buy parts that you may not need, I now have to return the part to get my dosh back.

How did I solve it...........I cleaned the throttle body and maf and in this case it worked and all appears to be running well, by the way if you have never done this, it's fairly easy with the right tools and cleaning kit, it's just a sod to get it back together, throttle body that is.

I would like to add this is a great site with some great people on this forum. Drive safe guys and gals.

And if something I mentioned is not quite right, feel free to teach an old dog new tricks and put me right.

Pete

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Pete did you solve the problem? I've got an 03 S and have a slightly lumpy idle and occasionally at around 5k revs I get a hesitation  feels a bit like I hit the limiter but if I push on thru I get the power back at about 5.5k. 

So, like you I'm systematically replacing things. So far I've done oil and filter, air filter, plugs, coils packs and new MAF. 

Im borrowing a mates code reader tomorrow to see if there are any codes although I've never had an engine check light come on. My next thought is it could be an o2 sensor but there are 4 of them so if it is that I hope the code reader tells me which one! 

Havent cleaned the throttle body yet but may do that after I see if I've got any codes. Did you find a lot of cr*p in there? 

Cheers. 

I am sure that a good rummage around the top of the engine can cause as much harm as good if your not careful!? I am finding that the various tiny vacuum lines are coming free... I am using small zip ties to secure at the ends... I think the rubber housings are going slack after 16yrsof heat cycles! When I swapped my aos the throttle body had to come off. It was clean as a whistle.... I have seen pics of filthy bodies... I can only assume oil coated air filters were being used as there should be no way on earth the body should be too dirty if a decent dry filter is used. Make sure every jubilee clip is tight, my cel has been off ever since I spent £3 on a new clip to secure the induction tube connection after the maf sensor! Hope I have not tempted fate!

Yes things will go brittle and dry and less supple. Just ask @Patt how many vacuum lines he's had to replace. The AOS is very close to the throttle body so I'm not surprised it gets dirty especially if you have a heavy breathing car. 

Archived