wheel rumble

Leesy69

Hello all. Recently purchased 03 986 S. Got a rumble from the rear wheels. Def not drive related and I'm convinced at the moment is rear wheel bearings. So jacked up car and spun rear wheels by hand. They are very stiff and not free at all. Is that normal? Shouldn't they roll freely? I checked the gators on the driveshafts and they are in tact with no obvious sign of grease leak. I'm by no means a mechanic but am willing to get stuck in with a spanner if I think I'm up to the job but don't want to embark on wheel bearings if it turns out to be some thing else entirely. Thanks in advance for any advice. 

Have you identified which bearing is suspect? I think there is a test you can do where you turn one way and then the other to identify which bearing is knackered as the noise increases under load. The other possibility is that the handbrake mechanism is faulty as these can cause noise and would also account for the stiffness of the rear wheels. Mind you, having just been playing with mine, they are not partivpcularly free moving since they have the drag of the differential and brake pads to overcome.

how many notches lift on the handbrake? Sounds like they could be binding. You could take the wheels off and adjust the Hand brake through the disc. You could push the disc pads back into the calliper to ensure they are not binding too. 

Here's a useful thread to give you some ideas

I particularly remember Tengocity's problems which were eventually resolved by changing driveshafts and CV joints, but plenty of other areas to look at first. Maybe something as simple as worn bushes in the lower control arms.

15 hours ago, JohnnyUK said:

how many notches lift on the handbrake? Sounds like they could be binding. You could take the wheels off and adjust the Hand brake through the disc. You could push the disc pads back into the calliper to ensure they are not binding too. 

2/3 notches. Is that too tight?

1 hour ago, Leesy69 said:

2/3 notches. Is that too tight?

I would have said yes, but it would be easy to misread this article as saying two clicks is ok

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/51-BRAKES-Parking_Brake_Adjustment/51-BRAKES-Parking_Brake_Adjustment.htm

It looks like someone who doesn't know what they are doing has adjusted your handbrake, so you may find that the clearance hasn't been set properly at the rear and it has just been adjusted using the cable adjustment under the centre console. I'd recommend going through the whole process starting at the rear wheels before finally adjusting the cable to give 5 clicks fully on.

I had a dodgy rear wheel bearing it gradually gets worse to the point where the sound overrides all others with the roof down! - even my Porsche Garage struggled to find out which one it was when it first started, once the sound really ramps up it's pretty obvious.

Yeah just like mine! It's a horrendous noise! I reckon it's passenger side though although it is difficult to tell but certainlY when taking a right handed the noise is worse and slight less on a left hander. Difficult though cos the suspension is so stiff! The noise in mine is so bad it's becoming horrible to drive. Getting it sorted next week I hope. 

Archived