Brake Pads

Toddie

I did a track day in my 02 Boxster S in October where i experienced brake fade with vibration through the steering when the brakes were really hot, when allowed to cool by a couple of steady laps the brakes returned to Ok. The vibration went away when cooler as well, which i put down to the pads "Gassing" as they couldn't cope with the heat. The car had all new discs and pads just before i bought it about 5K ago.

However now i feel on the road they have lost their bite/feel, i seem to have to apply much more pedal pressure than before to stop quickly, have i damaged / cooked the pads? is this possible?

I am doing the NC500 next May, and am going to get the fluid changed, brakes checked etc when serviced in Jan, what pads do people suggest? Not really looking at doing more track days.

Am i correct that Textar are OE Porsche pads?

1 hour ago, Toddie said:

I did a track day in my 02 Boxster S in October where i experienced brake fade with vibration through the steering when the brakes were really hot, when allowed to cool by a couple of steady laps the brakes returned to Ok. The vibration went away when cooler as well, which i put down to the pads "Gassing" as they couldn't cope with the heat. The car had all new discs and pads just before i bought it about 5K ago.

However now i feel on the road they have lost their bite/feel, i seem to have to apply much more pedal pressure than before to stop quickly, have i damaged / cooked the pads? is this possible?

I am doing the NC500 next May, and am going to get the fluid changed, brakes checked etc when serviced in Jan, what pads do people suggest? Not really looking at doing more track days.

Am i correct that Textar are OE Porsche pads?

Texstar are the OE Porsche pads.

Get the fluid replaced - make sure they undo the inner bleed valves and not just do it the lazy way!

ATE Superblue fluid or the new name equivalent is more than adequate for fast road and track day use and good value, available from ECP. Pad wise, when you start upgrading there is always some form of compromise. The biggest one with more aggressive pads is either more dusty, some can be noisy, but most if not all won't have the holes for wear sensors. I currently have some now old-ish Ferodo DS2500 but will possibly try the DS Uno next time round http://www.ferodoracing.com/products/car-racing/racing-brake-pads/ The sensors are just shorted together and tied out the way. Add some GT3 brake ducts for about a fiver too.

• 3 weeks later...

If they haven’t got the holes to fit the sensors then you cannot fit them. They work on a loop which if broken deploys warnings! Either cable tie them up neatly out of the way or cut the wires and join them together in a crimp. Obviously it’s up to you to keep an eye on them then so you don’t end up metal on metal !

Assume this is the same on a 986 as 987.

Also beware mixing brake fluids. I read somewhere that you should not mix the DOT 4 and DOT 5 I think as they are incompatible. If you have used 5 before you cannot go back to 4. It is recommended that you stick with whatever was originally put in there by Porsche. 

34 minutes ago, Carlos Garcia said:

i just got the Ferodo DS2500, how you managed to get around the brake sensors?

As I've posted above. You don't use them as such. Short them together.

For brake fluid the mixing refers to glycol and silicone. DOT 4 and 5.1 re glycol based DOT 5 is silicone. You can mix 4 and 5.1 if you want. What's more important is the respective wet and dry boiling points. Some DOT 4 have better specs than DOT 5.1.

Archived