Tyres,tyres,tyres..

Generallee

Find a good part worn place and save plenty. 

I've had Sport Contacts at £30 a corner with 6mm on them and recently good a better bargain for some P-zero's with 7mm on each with no cracking and good dates on the side walls. 

I liked the Continental very much but for performance (not that I am giving my car everything it has) I have been recommended to go with P-zero / Bridgestone and the former was available.  I haven't have them on the car long enough to really say but grip seems great on the damp roads. 

27 minutes ago, Generallee said:

Michelin on the front with plenty of tread left.. Just feeling a bit poor after paying for the most expensive solenoid in the world for the variator... thought someone might know a cheaper option or it might have to be Michelin.

Which Michelin, there are several different models.

Do they have to be homologated N rated? My Jag has Landsail on and they are fine and Toyos have been good in the past - my daily has Khumos on which are great in the wet - the Boxster doesn't get driven hard - lots of stuff on the wheel/tyre forum but not much about tyres this size on a 986 (2.7).

22 minutes ago, Generallee said:

Do they have to be homologated N rated? My Jag has Landsail on and they are fine and Toyos have been good in the past - my daily has Khumos on which are great in the wet - the Boxster doesn't get driven hard - lots of stuff on the wheel/tyre forum but not much about tyres this size on a 986 (2.7).

No need for N rated unless you have an OPC warranty in place. Some of the best tyres for the Boxster are not N rated. I think for a mid range tyre, the  Khumo gets pretty good reviews. Try a search on here to find comments on them. A lot depends on what you need from the tyre in terms of life, wet grip, track performance, cost etc. Read the comments and see if they will suit you, have a look at Falken 453(?), seem to remember these being recommended as well.

Just now, Generallee said:

My pal has an AMG 55CL and recommends Falkens. The handbook doesn't seem to specify N rated tyres - apparently from what I have read it is a marketing thing... As I said the car doesn't get hammered...

To be fair to Porsche, a lot of people who buy them have no idea about tyres and so having a recommended tyre that is guaranteed to be a decent choice is a good idea and saves just picking a random brand from Kwik Fit which may or may not be suitable. 

2 hours ago, Generallee said:

That's a joke right? Someone put saloon tyres on your car?

True that not a lot of people discuss 17in tyres here, it's usually 18s for the 986. But PS2 is the default, even if it is a bit pricier than others. Hopefully not so much in that size (19s are painful!!)

36 minutes ago, Generallee said:

looking like Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 @105 fitted each, any complaints, 94 load Y speed rating.

Thats an excellent price.

22 hours ago, 986CKY said:

Find a good part worn place and save plenty.

Good shout :)

I've bought decent tyres off ebay for very little, and got a local tyre shop to fit them.

That is from Tyres on the Drive and that is fitted at home... If you go on their site, it says they are £127.99 each but on a google search, they came up at £104.95 each - so I followed the link and they have accepted the order at that, so that's £23 off each tyre.... not seen them anywhere cheaper, fitted. Thanks for everyone's input... Need a new vibac window in the soft top next...

Never skimp on tyres, buy the best you can afford, you have at most the foot print of an A4 piece of paper of rubber in contact with the road(this is all four wheels), it’s not a lot of contact so make sure it’s good rubber.

39 minutes ago, the baron said:

Never skimp on tyres, buy the best you can afford, you have at most the foot print of an A4 piece of paper of rubber in contact with the road(this is all four wheels), it’s not a lot of contact so make sure it’s good rubber.

Did you have a bad experience with the Accelera PHI ?

Certainly I prefer new tyres, have run part worns in years gone by, but really rubber goes hard and cracks after 5 years. I have an american car and the tyres are 10 years old now - I don't trust them in the wet, they are fine in the dry though - they have gone hard. So I have gone for something with the right speed and load rating with the best wet grip as it does rain here a lot. Ignored the N marking. Chances are these will go old rather than be worn out... the Boxster doesn't do many miles.

10 hours ago, PaulQ said:

Did you have a bad experience with the Accelera PHI ?

Yes, span out on several roundabouts in the wet, not even going fast, and my cars only a 2.5..........I managed to catch it each time  so no damage done 

They were also a bugger to balance

Why anyone would choose PS2 now I have no idea: along with PS3, they’re an old design, no longer made and will be old stock. Supersport, PS4 or PS4S are the current all season performance road tyres from Michelin.

Archived