Roof temperature

Darkstar

I have heard that below a certain temperature putting your roof down can cause the plastic rear window to crack. 

Is there a temperature below which I should avoid putting my roof down, I have a plastic rear window.

you can put a non facelift 986 roof down in any temp .but if its cold you must MUST get the car fully warmed up and the inside temp up nice and hot before dropping the hood . . if you dont you (will) (may) crack the plastic screen easily . as they become more brittle when cold . heat things up toasty before  hand and you will not have a problem :shutup:

Yeah, just get the rear window heater on for a decently amount of time before you hit the roof button. Have you mastered the boxster chop yet? It's the only part of the pre-facelift car I was to keen on. Generally prefer the lines, ambers and 16"/17" wheels of the early cars

13 hours ago, Billzeebub said:

Yeah, just get the rear window heater on for a decently amount of time before you hit the roof button. Have you mastered the boxster chop yet? It's the only part of the pre-facelift car I was to keen on. Generally prefer the lines, ambers and 16"/17" wheels of the early cars

You realise that there is no rear window heater on a car with a plastic rear screen right? Pretty sure the element would melt the window.

Heating the interior of the car up first and using the 'Boxster chop' is the correct solution.

2 minutes ago, mike597 said:

Just whip out the hairdryer from the frunk and give the screen a quick blast to warm it up.

Just me?

Is this the one you use?  Handy being 12V for operation from inside the car :P

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rayinblue-Dryer-Blower-Travel-Camping/dp/B06ZXXRVWH/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1511521132&sr=8-2&keywords=12v+hairdryers

5 minutes ago, rowbos said:

I thought these were standard issue?

6 hours ago, Tex24v said:

You realise that there is no rear window heater on a car with a plastic rear screen right? Pretty sure the element would melt the window.

Heating the interior of the car up first and using the 'Boxster chop' is the correct solution.

It's a while since I've owned an early 986. I know it didn't have an element in a plastic screen obvs, but seemed to hazily assume there was a hot air blow like on the front screen! Thinking about it now obvs you're right. To be fair the plastic screens are so cheap to replace like for like I never really worried about it too much. 

On 23/11/2017 at 9:13 PM, Menoporsche said:

I'd suggest putting it down without preparation below 4C.

Then when it cracks, use that as a reason to upgrade your roof to one with a glass screen. Presto! No more worries.

That’s what I did, worked a treat with SWMBO

Archived