Where have my volts gone?

TV8

I have been driving that much lately. A handful of 2-3 mile journeys in the last couple of months and the last time I used the car (at least 2 weeks ago) I thought it span over slightly slower than normal on first start-up..

Today, it only just turned over but fortunately, started.

I have the battery (I believe it is a year old) on charge now but very surprised that the battery has gone flat at all - my TVR has been used even less and that is fine!

so options are:

1)They all do that - use it more.

2)They all do that when the battery is rubbish - use more and change the battery

3)It is not charging properly

4)The battery is on the way out - use more and change the battery

5)The battery is the wrong spec - use more and change the battery

Battery is a Duracell Advanced DA 72 / UK100 12V 72Ah 660A (EN) 700A (SAE)

Any suggestions please?

Thanks in advance.

2 minutes ago, Boxob said:

Another possibility:

6) battery is fine but there is a drain on the system.

Didn't want to think that!

Are they known to have such problems - sticky door switches or similar?

Gets reported on here regularly. Not a problem I have so I've not needed to investigate myself. I recall unused trackers can be an issue. A search should yield some results.

I've posted a link before but get one of the cig lighter battery dongles. It should show circa 14.4V when charging and 12.6V. They cost about 1.50 from ebay and will quickly show you whether your alternator is not charging properly.

1 minute ago, edc said:

I've posted a link before but get one of the cig lighter battery dongles. It should show circa 14.4V when charging and 12.6V. They cost about 1.50 from ebay and will quickly show you whether your alternator is not charging properly.

I leave mine plugged in all the time.

Its interesting to see just how much the voltage drops after the car has stood for a while.

This time of year if your car is left outside, and/or little used, then the cold can flatten your battery pretty quickly.

Mine sits in the glovebox and I put it in from time to time. When my alternator was charging fully I could watch the battery voltage drop over a journey :D  You can't see the display too well with the roof down and sun shining off it but who cares! 

Get a maintainer and use it or use the car for significant distances and revs to allow a charge. Don't just start it or go for a few miles with everything on. That drains.  Do so without HVAC and audio on.

Yes trackers can drain.

I have the older type in my car, but bought one of these for the missus a few weeks ago, which looks nicer and does temp & has a USB socket.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-USB-Charger-Car-Cigarette-Lighter-Socket-Power-Digital-Voltmeter-Thermometer/252886153698?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131017132637%26meid%3D22b789df55a24f5d9a14aa74d52f938f%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D8%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D361883375229&_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042

You can get them from Aliexpress for a few quid less if you don't mind waiting a couple of weeks for shipping.

On 08/12/2017 at 4:27 PM, Boxob said:

Gets reported on here regularly. Not a problem I have so I've not needed to investigate myself. I recall unused trackers can be an issue. A search should yield some results.

Mine was an obsolete tracker. £40 at an auto sparky and solved.

• 2 months later...

Well, another flat battery this weekend and I am not sure that the battery is charging properly. I did buy one of the volt meters and this showed 13.1/13.2 when driving the car, so some charging but no where near 14.

The car is on charge now and I checked the charging with a multi-meter and similar output to the cig lighter, so not a good sign.

I am assuming that a battery problem could not affect charge levels? If so, any suggestions where best to supply/fit an alternator in the south east please?

2 minutes ago, TV8 said:

Well, another flat battery this weekend and I am not sure that the battery is charging properly. I did buy one of the volt meters and this showed 13.1/13.2 when driving the car, so some charging but no where near 14.

The car is on charge now and I checked the charging with a multi-meter and similar output to the cig lighter, so not a good sign.

I am assuming that a battery problem could not affect charge levels? If so, any suggestions where best to supply/fit an alternator in the south east please?

I wonder if a really knackered battery could pull down the alternator output? Worth seeing what level of voltage you can get into the battery. Once it's fully charged and back in the car, try turning on the ignition and then just monitor the voltage as you switch on lots of accessories, fans and headlights. If it drops the voltage much below 12v then I'd be looking for a new battery. Then try starting it after turning off the lights and see if the voltage is still low even with a charged battery. I think mine idles at about 13.6v and goes upto 14.2 once driving.

If you replace the battery and the voltage still sticks at 13.1v, then it points to an alternator issue.

Looks like your alternator is not charging properly. It should be just over 14v. It's normally just the voltage regulator part. 

3 minutes ago, Nobbie said:

I wonder if a really knackered battery could pull down the alternator output? Worth seeing what level of voltage you can get into the battery. Once it's fully charged and back in the car, try turning on the ignition and then just monitor the voltage as you switch on lots of accessories, fans and headlights. If it drops the voltage much below 12v then I'd be looking for a new battery. Then try starting it after turning off the lights and see if the voltage is still low even with a charged battery. I think mine idles at about 13.6v and goes upto 14.2 once driving.

If you replace the battery and the voltage still sticks at 13.1v, then it points to an alternator issue.

Not sure about the battery - it was very flat 1st thing today. I thought I had put it on charge on Saturday but nothing in the battery this morning, its definitely charging now so will check in the morning again.

A battery is easier to change than the alternator but can't help thinking the voltage should be higher, even if the battery is flat?

Put one of the battery dongles in during a journey. If the voltage keeps dropping then the alternator isn't working. It should be 12.6 ish then rising through 13.6v and shouldn't exceed about 14.4v when driving normally. 

Or for about £40 you can get one that monitors all the tyre pressures as well. Slightly unsightly valve caps but at this potholed time of year worth every penny!

I think it is looking like the battery.. charged over night and battery at 12.6 volts. Car started fine and at tick-over battery charging at 13.8 volts (up from the 13.1!) I put some electrical load on the car and that started to drop slightly. After running for a couple of minutes, switched off and battery is then at 12.0 volts despite having had 24 hours on charge and seemingly having charge put into it for the time running.

If you measure the battery with the ignition off and engine off it will read 12v ish only or less if gone bad. 

• 4 weeks later...

A bit of an up-date. Sorted out the battery guarantee and the dealer put the wrong one on the car so Duracell wouldn't honour the warranty! The local 'Duracell person then made a very kind offer to sort out a deal, which seemed reasonable as it included fitting and I am a bit lazy like that...

Due to holidays and stuff the car has not been used for at least 2 weeks and I thought I would switch off the lights completely, rather than leave on the DLR setting and the car started as normal today!

Very strange (in a good way) but probably going to change the battery anyway as precaution and check or change the diode on the DLR

Archived