Boxter 986 rear seat pad -- 2002 (model)

Andrew P

Hi, can someone please advise how to remove the rear seat pad of the above. I have a lower back problem and need to reduce / remove the lumbar support. I believe the top of the pad unclips from the frame but havent worked out a way to do this or maybe i am just not exerting enough upwards pressure !

I want to take it off as I want to see if I can either 

A) remove some of the lower foam padding

Or

B ) alter the metal frame in some way 

Of course any other advice would be greatly received. 

Please help so I don't have to sell my car. 

Cheers 

Andrew 

Back of the seat. At the bottom. you can see the centre pad is hooked into a grove. I use a hook to pull it out. Then go to the front of the seat. CAREFULLY  pull the pad forward. Half way up the pad . It has wings that tucks behind the side bolster. Then push the pad upwards. The plastic frame that the pad attaches to has hooks at the top so be careful not to brake them .

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Gary thanks for that but I can't see that the centre seat is hooked into a groove. Mine seems different.

While on though do you know if the panel on the back of the 986 seat  (shaped like a church 'arched' window and has a leather pocket on it)  just clicks onto / into the seat  and therefore can be unclicked using plastic tools ? 

Cheers 

I just pulled a 997 seat apart and it is exactly as Gary said but I did struggle. 

Go to the back of the seat, at the bottom of the seat back you will see some suede material that is attached to the leather on the front insert, it will be tucked into a groove. Using a hooked tool pull this out all along and push it back through the gap between the seat base and back. Turn the seat around and just over halfway up each side of the insert are two plastic "wings" (one each side) that just pop behind the seat bolsters. Pull the insert forward at this point and the wings will come out. Then push the insert upwards and it will unclip at the top.

I doubt there are different ones but it is a possibility I suppose.

On 17/12/2017 at 8:35 PM, Andrew P said:

Hi, can someone please advise how to remove the rear seat pad of the above.

I never realised the MY2002 986 had rear seats....

:blink:

Cheers, Baggers.

Thanks Terry (and Gary) I managed to work it out at the weekend. It was the hook bit that I couldn't follow. My pad is now out but there weren't two plastic wings half way up so there must be some differences depending on age of car. Thanks again. 

5 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Thanks Terry (and Gary) I managed to work it out at the weekend. It was the hook bit that I couldn't follow. My pad is now out but there weren't two plastic wings half way up so there must be some differences depending on age of car. Thanks again. 

Just goes to show you!!

There is probably a difference between the hardback sports seats and the regular seats. 

Archived