Worried about traction control

niceone

In the wet, as long as the wheel is straight the Boxster S will take pretty much full throttle in any gear. If you're accelerating hard out of corners yes it can go sideways, but I'd say not accidentally unless there's really bad conditions (or alignment problem?).

If it doesn't have it (was an option), there'll be a button missing on the dash on the right hand side.

For me, traction control isn't the important one to have; all it does is reduce power when the wheels start to spin, which you can do with your right foot. PSM (Porsche Stability Management) on the other hand will brake individual wheels to help correct a slide and keep the vehicle pointing where you want it.

It depends on how confident you are with a performance RWD car. I'd be tempted to get some driver training if you haven't done so already - a course like this one with CAT Driver Training is well worth the money.

Quite honestly I wouldn't worry about it. My AMG had 50% more power and skinnier rear tyres. You said you had a TVR before.If you can drive that half sensibly and keep it on the road a Boxster will be like a family saloon in comparison.

If you've had a TVR before then as edc says, you should be fine with the Boxster as long as you don't take liberties.

It's about as safe and secure as a RWD car gets, especially with a factory alignment.

I can’t unstick my 2.7 986 without being a hooligan. I’ve never got it to slide without real provocation, ie bootfull coming out of a corner or full throttle 1st to second/second to 3rd gearchange with steering on

PSM is nice to have as a winter insurance policy, but I can count on the fingers of one hands the number of times the dash light has illuminated, and I've never ever felt worried at that point. The S that I owned without PSM never felt close to killing me. Like others have said unless you drive like a loon then they are very sure footed and progressive. Tyres and alignment the key. 

Traction control is an interference if you ask me. I’d rather be in control when things go silly or I decide to give it some boot for a little slide. The z4 traction feel like you’ve stalled the engine when it cuts the power, and the PSM in a 986 i drove lit up on the wet test drive (it was on budgets too and no i didnt buy it) but I still wasn’t a fan or even knew it had it until i was in the driving seat. I certainly wouldn’t add it as an option. I’m all for analogue involved manual cars (until I get a PDK haha).

• 2 weeks later...

I had a 2.8 Z3 once. My road home from work took me up a double bend, uphill S fashion. Not particularly steep, and a flat camber. Bloody flashing traction light was permanently on. BMWs suffer so much from lack of rear traction, despite what their advertising blurb states.

Plus, guess what models of car are mostly seen at the side of the road in snow? BMW and Merc.

3 minutes ago, Happy Days said:

I had a 2.8 Z3 once. My road home from work took me up a double bend, uphill S fashion. Not particularly steep, and a flat camber. Bloody flashing traction light was permanently on. BMWs suffer so much from lack of rear traction, despite what their advertising blurb states.

Plus, guess what models of car are mostly seen at the side of the road in snow? BMW and Merc.

My past BMW (multiple) and present Merc have been/are terrible on ice/snow/slightly damp grass!

Wouldn't even worry about it tbh. 

Don't have it, purposely looked for one without it, drive daily on "summer" tyres, not died yet. And the diff is so open on these things that if you do put a foot to the floor out of a bend you just tend to spin the inner wheel, you have to be a real moron (driving past your limits) or victim of circumstance to get one really out of shape, they have so much grip (providing they're set up right) that I don't know why you would ever need TC. 

Archived