Gear linkage fail

MK986

Hey amigos,

Hoping to gain a bit of advice from you all.  Me and the missus flying up to London yesterday (to buy a sofa).  Had a brilliant run up, until I noticed about 5km away from our destination, that I seemed to be running in 3rd gear, instead of being engaged in 1st, as I had selected. Pulled up on a car park and was unable to engage reverse gear. Gear stick seemed floppy, left to right. 

After $hatting it for a few minutes, I came across a pelican forum where gear linkage was suggested. - I stuck my hand up behind the back-right wheel, and felt a disconnected cable/termination. 

AA man came within 20mins, hiked the car up and repaired the gear linkage. Worn eye meant it popped off the nuckle. 4 rubber gloves and 2 cable ties, and I was heading straight back down to Brighton. 

The cause - I think a heavy downshift going uphill on the M23 earlier - money is on that ‘unlinking’ the cable. 

Question: any ideas on which part to go for? I found a plastic and an aluminium version of the linkage. 

Also - the AA chap seems to think the cables are alright, but would anyone suggest replacing them? (Aware this comes at quite high labour cost).

Thanks for reading. 

MK

There's no real serviceable parts on the cable at the rear, either tie it up or replace the lot.

I am planning to do mine soon, as after changing my clutch the condition of my cables at the rear was shocking. About £300 for the cables but no grief to fit them

6 minutes ago, MK986 said:

I assumed it was a case of re-crimping the cables (depending on condition). 

https://www.design911.co.uk/mobile/#part;id=11150

kind of had that in mind tbh. 

@golfprorich you’ve done this before? you’re Sussex based? Where abouts?

That link is for the tiptronic cable end. I'm pretty sure on the manual cables for the 986 the rear end is non-servicable, unlike the shifter end where you can replace the connections.

No I haven't replaced the cables before, but had them unclipped at both ends, to do the clutch and also when I put the 997 shifter up front. There's only one mounting point as such on the firewall and I have the alignment tool. It's not a difficult job at all. 

@MK986 I'm the other side of Lewes just beyond Ringmer :)

If you're getting prices for cables from mid sussex see if they would do a price on two :)

I'm due an op on my elbow hopefully by the end of March so want to get all car jobs up to date as I won't be picking up tools for some time after that :unsure:

Sounds like you may need part 13 on this https://www.design911.co.uk/mobile/#part;id=137047  If the cable end itself had sheared away no amount of rubber gloves and zip ties is going to bodge that back to be strong enough to work for any length of time.

Sure. I think 13 is for the sub-assembly and 7 a singular component. You will be better placed to lay eyes on it of course. You should clean up and grease the cable ends while you are there to protect from any corrosion.

On Molly I bent 18 after one of the cables let go. It bent back ok and ran for years. 

If I recall cables were about £100 ish each and about 3 hours labour. Made for a great shift action when replaced. 

I ordered a part from Porsche, but have been warned that I may need new cables, as I may not have had a gear mod.  (whatever the f that means).  So, I went from a part costing £60, to numerous parts that all fit together for around £650.  Labor time - obvs more for cable install, rather than a less than 5 min job to just change the rod.  In a nut-shell, 2 Porsche centers I called, both unable to answer simple questions regarding these parts.  I will call Zuffenhausen directly tomorrow and speak to the Germans.  Surely they know more.  In the meantime, the part I ordered is arriving tomorrow and I'll know by midday IF it'll fit or not.  My money is on it WILL fit! (positive)

Part number: 985 424 931 05/06/07 gear link rod, as per attached diagram. Part 17.

The part I bought for £65 from Porsche, DID in fact fit! - So I DID NOT have to buy cables an fittings, like both Porsche centers advised, or said I'd need to.

Brilliant result!

Thanks all for the input.

MKpart17.gif.151c36b22dc6951c71a90b280509a595.gif

Archived