718 Cayman mpg

Stuart21UK

I had a loaner 718 Cayman (2 litre 4 pot turbo - the NON S)

after 3 days of use, mixed roads including some 50/60mph average limits, a little bit of A/B road, the OBC showed an average (I'd reset it) of 26.2 mpg over 113 miles

This car has 1000 miles on it so presumably it will improve like my 981 did over the first 5000 miles or so

I'm not terribly impressed with it though TBH...I mean PDK and with the smaller engine that is supposed to be more fuel efficient, my 3.4 litre S would likely have shown 23 mpg at that point (and now after 34000 miles its showing a long term average of 26.4 mpg). I'm guessing this may get to 28 mpg over the long term in my use? Not a compelling reason to buy the smaller engines 718 IMHO

It certainly had more torque low down in the rev range compared to mine though (although I'd not say it was fast as such, just maybe more effortless)

Anyway here's a couple of pic including my dear old 82 year mum taking a trip to her hospital appointment in it!

20180123_095801.jpg

uA4Cxdr.jpg

3 day average

68QC4Yl.jpg

YvlYcVE.jpg

H8vVHbm.jpg

Single trip

GDOILP6.jpg

I get around 28 with mine , the mpg is a bit of a red herring , the change was due to get the emissions down so the average across the range is reduced as per the eu directives so they avoid the penalties.

I think they quote better mpg but this is the real world. The mpg does reduce somewhat when pushed,but im not worried as its better than the Z4 i had but much much less that the little 107 we had whilst my son was learning to drive 67mpg on that.

I know which one i prefer:D

2018-01-29 22.24.07.jpg

On 28/01/2018 at 11:50 AM, Stuart21UK said:

I had a loaner 718 Cayman (2 litre 4 pot turbo - the NON S)

after 3 days of use, mixed roads including some 50/60mph average limits, a little bit of A/B road, the OBC showed an average (I'd reset it) of 26.2 mpg over 113 miles

This car has 1000 miles on it so presumably it will improve like my 981 did over the first 5000 miles or so

I'm not terribly impressed with it though TBH...I mean PDK and with the smaller engine that is supposed to be more fuel efficient, my 3.4 litre S would likely have shown 23 mpg at that point (and now after 34000 miles its showing a long term average of 26.4 mpg). I'm guessing this may get to 28 mpg over the long term in my use? Not a compelling reason to buy the smaller engines 718 IMHO

But Stuart... all this and you haven't mentioned the most relevant point - did you try a different octane fuel?

2 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

But Stuart... all this and you haven't mentioned the most relevant point - did you try a different octane fuel?

no....plain Jane UL so that it was a direct comparison to mine....but fair point in that I'll bet it had Super in it when I picked it up so that makes it even worse :woot:

6 hours ago, Stuart21UK said:

no....plain Jane UL so that it was a direct comparison to mine....but fair point in that I'll bet it had Super in it when I picked it up so that makes it even worse :woot:

I think people put the cheapest fuel they can in a loan car.

13 minutes ago, MIkeyv60 said:

Surely not supermarket stuff :o

no I'll put absolutely anything in it....supermarket UL, BP, Shell, wherever I am and it needs a fill up...

It's no worse for it....I have a thread somewhere that proves it - 4000 miles on Super and 4000 miles on normal UL...

8 hours ago, Stuart21UK said:

no I'll put absolutely anything in it....supermarket UL, BP, Shell, wherever I am and it needs a fill up...

It's no worse for it....I have a thread somewhere that proves it - 4000 miles on Super and 4000 miles on normal UL...

I never use super market fuels , it doesnt have the adidtives of normal fuels and my merc went into limp mode 3 times because of Tesco Diesel

2 hours ago, MIkeyv60 said:

I never use super market fuels , it doesnt have the adidtives of normal fuels and my merc went into limp mode 3 times because of Tesco Diesel

TBH its generally the local BP, rarely supermarket as there isn't one nearby

Archived