Painted lower (armrest) console

perleman

Hello

my old 997 had an arctic silver centre console from the factory gave the interior a real lift

my present car has a slate grey interior and I’m considering taking a few pieces off and having them painted such as the climate unit, radio surround bezel, the dash trim pieces

The console is a soft touch finish and I’m worried might not be receptive to gloss paint / lacquer, my paint guy said it might be good to start and then crack with time as the underlying surface is soft for that sort of paint

I’m wondering how Porsche did it in the factory? Has anyone got or had theirs painted and can comment?

could do the whole lot Matt black which might solve it and also give the upper console with the radio and climate a more gen 2 look

thanks

My paint guy said he can restore the original finish no problem just that a high gloss laquered finish might not last. 

I’m wondering if he can do a non high gloss metallic to code it to the outside of the car (gt silver) or if that is not possible 

im more of an electrics man than a paint guy tbh

You can have matt lacquer on any colour you like.

I don't think gloss would wear badly on silver but it would show finger prints etc on black. But the matt soft touch that is in the car isn't very tough, its easily scratched and unrepairable.

I had a gloss silver console in my 986 and it was great ?

The issue my paint guy is saying is if you paint over the existing soft touch plastic paint, any flex in the unit or if it gets pressed on may lead to cracking as the soft paint underneath flexes

if you were painting an existing one and wanted a gloss finish what steps would you take / advise? Would you strip all the existing paint off? Use any particular product etc?

There was a group buy being run on the 997 section of 911uk.com about 18 months ago, at a place called Wicked Costings in Poole. Loads of people on the forum had their centre consoles either painted or hydro dipped & the price was about £150 if I remember correctly. They looked fantastic after & I'm gutted I missed out on it at the time.

Of course it won't last if you paint into a surface that is already peeling off. That's why you need to strip it back so you have a proper bare plastic surface to work from. A sanding disc or pad could get if off for example. 

I did the centre console GT Silver, with matchingGT Silver de-hooded instrument surround and door handles.

Silver seatbelts on the way and may do the RS style door pulls in silver or black as the red pulls looks garish now.

Also did the PCM, heater etc. matt black and several coats of Matt lacquer with carbon skinned side panels to finish it off - still got pieces to put back in so will post photos in the next few weekends.

if anyone is interested in my spare centre console for painting let me know £50.

I’ve got an aftermarket head unit so won’t need to dismantle the pcm, that looks quite involved! 

How much hassle is it to dismantle the HVAC and PSM units to paint? Doesn’t look too bad on Youtube. Did U bother with the storage cubby below the PSM switch bank? 

how did you prep / paint the lower console? Technique, prep and materials please!

wont be doing the side pieces as they’re leather 

I didn’t prep the console, I bought one from a 997 in arctic Silver and repainted it in GT to match the other bits.

HVAC isn’t not too bad to be honest, take your time, just don’t pull or tug the plastic or you will snap the little tangs that hold it together. Yes I did the junk tray matt black and one of the bands that runs around the gearstick.

The PCM took a while to do but I had to fix the LCD anyway so it’s been an epic.

I was going to do Alcantara on the sides and various other pieces of the interior but the proper carbon look is really nice. I’ve carbon skinned the armrest and the mirror adjustment trim triangles too - forgot to say.

Archived